33 - STARK EXPO

"Show-off." 

Tony was loud and proud standing in the very centre of the stage at his very first night of the Stark Expo, something that would last all year long. Bright flashing lights flooded the stage, women with long legs grinned while kicking their legs high while wearing Iron Man's classic colours. The hyped up crowd was calling out his name and from my spot in the wings off stage, I was shaking my head, but a smile touched my lips. "Mum, don't say that." Samuel was saying beside me, quite thrilled to be standing in the wings and witnessing his father's large display. 

"Nah, kid, your mother's right." Happy Hogan mumbled from behind us, watching the show with a blank face. Happy had been around for years, he had seen pretty much everything and wasn't surprised when Tony went all out for the public. "Show-off seems just about right." 

It had been six months almost to the date, since Tony had confessed to the world that he was indeed Iron Man and the press and fame had not died down, not even once. Tony Stark had lived and breathed in the spotlight for years, it didn't bother him. But I was putting on a brave face, knowing he enjoyed the fancy parties, the paparazzi and how everywhere we went, people chanted his name. Even in Flushing, New York he was still a star.  

"It's good to be back!" Tony started with a handsome smirk, sending the crowd wild once again. Samuel was bouncing on the balls of his feet, trying to snag a better view. "I'm not saying that the world is enjoying its longest period of uninterrupted peace in years because of me."

I rolled my eyes playfully while the crowd clapped and cheered. "I'm not saying that from the ashes of captivity, never has a greater phoenix metaphor been personified in human history." Tony bowed his head with that line. "I'm not saying that Uncle Sam can kick back on a lawn chair, sipping on an ice tea because I haven't come across anyone who's man enough to go toe-to-toe with me on my best day."

Samuel sent me a smile. "He's really good at speeches."

"Don't tell him that, it'll go to his head." I whispered down at my son, letting my eyebrows rise with the comment but he just continued to grin. 

"Please, it's not about me. It's not about you. It's not even about us. It's about legacy." Tony paused, letting his message sink in. "It's about what we choose to leave behind for future generations, and that's why for the next year and for the first time since 1974, the best and brightest men and women of nations and corporations the world over will pool their resources, share their collective vision, to heave a brighter future."

I could hear the crowd cheering again and let my gaze slip down to my son, his eyes wide and a smile painted on his lips still. He was proud to be Tony Stark's son, and I didn't blame him, not even with the overly grand performance he was giving tonight to the adoring crowd. Even if I thought the dancing chorus girls were a little overkill. "It's not about us. Therefore, what I'm saying, if I'm saying anything, is welcome back to the Stark Expo." 

Samuel was clapping his hands along with the crowd, "And now, making a special guest appearance from the great beyond to tell you what it's all about, please welcome my father, Howard." 

As a short video displayed on the screen, Tony was striding off stage and pulling me in close against his chest. "How'd I do, honey?" He smirked proudly, letting his free hand ruffle Samuel's shaggy dark hair. 

I let my shoulders rise and fall. "I thought we decided to cut the phoenix metaphor?"

Tony gave a little laugh, "I was really feeling it."

Dropping a soft kiss to my lips, he bent down and scooped Samuel into his arms and twirling him around twice before putting him back down since our son was a little too big for spinning around like a toddler. The cheers faded away as we moved further backstage, Tony chatting loudly with Samuel about the introduction of Stark Expos again and how the future of the company would one day fall upon his little shoulders. Samuel was enjoying the attention and deep down, I knew it was something he wanted more than anything, to follow proudly in his father's footsteps. As we moved through another crowd all wanting a piece of Tony, my body swayed randomly.

"Hey, are you okay?" Happy was suddenly beside me, a hand circled around my waist and his body pressed to my side as he stopped me from tumbling backwards in my heels. A hand went to my temple, my stomach twisting painfully. 

For a brief second, my vision blurred but it didn't last long. When my vision cleared, I saw Tony watching me with worried eyes while he was in the midst of signing an autograph. Quickly, I was steading myself and nodding my head. "Yeah, just...um, a little dizzy. It was probably just the bright lights from the stage. It's all a little much sometimes, you know?" 

Happy nodded but stayed close as we pushed through the loud crowd, everyone cheering and grinning all in the name to grab Tony Stark's attention. When we finally exited the building, we found a woman leaning against Tony's sleek car. Happy was already giving a frown, "Who are you?" Tony questioned lightly, yanking open the door and helping Samuel slip inside. 

The pretty redhead grinned, "Marshal." 

"Irish. I like it." Tony was saying but his eyes were on me, a little worried with my sudden dip in mood from my headache and the stinging pain in my abdomen. Happy was offering me a hand with a tight smile and I let him help me into the low car. "What are you doing here?"

The woman sidestepped around the car, "I'm looking for you."

"Yeah? You found me." Tony mumbled softly while slipping into the car too and fixing his seatbelt. "Okay, let's cut to the chase. What do you want?"

I eyed the woman, watching as she pulled a document from her handbag. "I'm here to serve you a subpoena, Mr. Stark." Tony eyed the file but it was Happy that reached over and took the document, frowning slightly while stuffing it in his jacket pocket. "You are hereby ordered to appear before the Senate Armed Services Committee tomorrow morning at nine o'clock. Don't be late."

I was sighing loudly, letting my head rest against the headrest while Samuel looked across at me, questions dancing in his brown eyes. The car roared to life, Tony planting his foot on the accelerator. "What does that mean, mum?" Samuel questioned quietly. 

My head felt like somebody was knocking on my skull, my whole body feel slightly off balance but I managed to let my hand touch his cheek, hoping to calm down his worries. "We're heading to D.C. kiddo, that's all." I told him quietly, my eyes meeting Tony's in the rearview mirror while something unspoken passed between us. "Nothing to worry about."