30 - IRON MONGER

We were taken to Stark Industries, night falling by the time we arrived. Obadiah Stane did not utter a single word to us, just grinning to himself like his master plan was finally falling into place. I gripped Samuel's tiny little hand, keeping him close even when one of Obadiah's men stepped towards him. With no communication, we followed through darkened hallways at the main base of operations for Tony's company, the men that flocked us on my driveway disappearing as we stepped into a hanger labelled Sector 16. 

"Mum--" Samuel's tiny voice drifted towards me but I didn't have time to try and sooth his worries or the fear that must have been beating in his heart. Obadiah was twirling towards us, his arms spread out wide. I eyed the room which was illuminated in an eerie blue light from the large arc reactor prototype above us. 

Something bright was left upon a work bench and my stomach was twisting with a sick feeling. Tony's arc reactor, the very thing that kept him alive was sitting there, blinking and waiting to be used. Questions were already swimming in my mind, my chest heaving. I didn't need to ask where he had gotten it from, most likely pulled it right out of Tony's chest. Fear sparked my mind, wondering if Tony was still alive. "Do you like it, Miss Hardings?" Obadiah was now pointing across to a large metal suit. My breath caught in my throat. The suit was built out of iron, much like Tony's, but it was built bigger and better. 

"You made an Iron Man suit." Samuel was muttering out, staring across at Obadiah. I knew his own fears were filling his little mind, maybe putting together the pieces of the puzzle. With another grin, the man that proclaimed to be Tony's father like figure, was snatching the shining arc reactor from the bench and moving across the room. With delicate precision, he placed the device into the very heart of the suit. 

A laugh filled the air, Obadiah quite pleased with his plan. "I made a better, stronger, greater version of the suit. Tony's suit is nothing compared to this." The man was saying, fawning over what he had created. "When I placed the hit on Tony's life, I never thought he would survive and bring me something like this. A suit to rule the world. With this, I can start wars. I can...do anything." 

With his confession, my mind was reeling. Obadiah Stane had been the very reason Tony had been captured months ago. He had decided murdering the boy he was supposed to care about, was a perfectly understandable reason when he didn't get his way. It was very clear, Obadiah wanted the company for himself, to deal weapons to enemies and when Tony had come back and figured out what he had done, he wanted him gone from the picture for good. "You wanted Tony dead." I spoke up, watching as the man marched towards us. "He could be dead right now. Why keep us here?" 

Obadiah was smirking again, a sick and twisted look in his eyes. Slowly, he was pulling a tiny device from his pocket, it flashing red. Samuel moved closer towards me, reaching for my arm. With a quick movement, I was pushing him behind me, trying to protect him somehow. "Safety measures, of course. I can't count that Tony won't show, he's a stubborn bastard. If he's not dead already, he'll come for you and I'll be ready to end him once and for all." I eyed the device, wondering what it did. "Admiring my handy gadget? It's quite harmless. Just some short-term paralysis. Would you like a demonstration? How about on the little boy?" 

"Don't fucking touch him." I hissed towards Obadiah, backing away from the man. Thankfully, a sound was echoing through the building and his head was snapping to glare through the shadows, knowing we were not alone now. With a muttered curse, he was hurrying towards his iron suit and leaving us alone. 

Samuel was breathing heavily and quickly, I was grabbing onto his hand again. Knowing there wasn't much time, I was moving us towards the exit. We didn't make it far when we bumped into Pepper and a group of men decked out with black suits and guns aimed ready to fire. "Tilda! Samuel! What are you doing here?" Pepper was asking, pulling me into her arms and hugging me.