Chapter 3: Head.Cars.Bending

Song Selection: Cigarette Daydreams by Cage the Elephant

"I woke up to a mix of scarlet and lavender;
A friendly reminder that each of us look at the same sky.
That not one person is different.
We all have looked to the sky at least once in our life,
Whether it be in our adolescence or in our adulthood.
Perhaps it is because the sky is where our hopes and dreams lie.
The ones we always wished to have,
But were just too far away to grasp.
Maybe that's why I'm always looking up."

I looked out my window again, sighing in content. "Did you forget I was here, Emerson?" Ryder mocked with her head turned towards me on the phone.

"Right, sorry," I apologized and looked back down to my history notes. The night continued on as I worked on what homework I still had, seeing as I should finish it soon.

She chuckled and put down her colored pencils. "I briefly mention a sunset I had drawn once and you just went on about what you had written before you went to school like, how does your mind function thoughts coherently?"

I pointed a finger to her knowingly. "Then again, everyone has an abstract way to process thoughts don't you think?" I mentioned and she rolled her eyes, "Too late of a discussion?"

"Shouldn't you be studying? Something that still flys by my attention because of the fact that school has only been going on for a week and a half yet he's making you take a test already," She said in annoyance and looked down at her sketchbook.

I shrugged my shoulders and shut my notebook, getting up to pick up my copy of Frankenstein. "Fuck History, I'm not gonna major in it so why bother?" I told her and opened up the book to read silently from where I left off, "Besides, I find Shelly to be more relieving."

Ryder tilted her head to me, a small smirk on her face. "Trying to impress someone in particular?"

I started to blush and instead shook my head. "No, I'm actually trying to get a good grade on a subject I actually like. But thanks for asking," I said and she leaned into the camera.

"You know, it wouldn't be the worst thing if you liked him. Think of all the new material you could write about," Ryder said and I chuckled in disbelief at the comments she was instigating. A knock came suddenly at my door and I could hear the door knob turning, hanging up on Ryder quickly.

My father stood outside of my bedroom expectantly, folding his arms in a cross manner. "You should be in bed by now, Emma. Or are you having trouble sleeping still-"

"I was on the phone with a friend, Dad. You don't have to worry about me," I explained and he nodded, shutting the lights and muttering a good night before leaving.

I threw on a jacket carelessly, pairing it with some Converses before going downstairs the next morning. Both my parents were already at work, as they usually were, but my mother seemed to never forget a glass of water and my 2 anti-depressant pills with the note Have a good day written beside them.

As a force of habit, I took them and continued on to my short walk towards school. My headphones were already in, playing a composition by Vivaldi as I looked around the early morning. The peace was soon cut short as a car drove past me in a rush, stopping at the light ahead of me. I held onto my backpack straps tightly and went ahead, leaving my gaze on the jet black car. The windows were barely lowered, smoke fumes finally being put out from the driver's side it seemed.

I furrowed my eyebrows in concentration and noticed them turning into the teacher's parking next to the front of the school. "Hey cutie!" I turned back to catch Ryder calling me from her mother's car and waved hello, crossing to wait for her mom to turn in to the drop off area. The car door slammed behind me and my head spun towards Mr. Healy walking past me with a stack of folders in one hand as well as an iced coffee in the other.

His sunglasses were on crookedly as he gave me a small smirk. "Morning," He simply said to me, "I'll see you in fourth period, Emma."

"Of course, Mr. Healy," I plainly responded and watched him take his strides up towards his classroom. There was a quick snap of fingers and I looked to Ryder in front of me as she started a small chuckle. "Morning?"

She tucked me under her shoulder and stood close to my ear. "You know, if you were trying to hook up with the guy at least cut the sexual tension you're giving off," She whispered, making me break away from her and a dark crimson blush crept onto my cheeks.

There was no other comment about the encounter soon after as the two of us made our way towards the quad to begin the school day.

***

Anna coughed beside me as the two of us made our way out of Fourth period and towards lunch. I turned back to her, taking the small poster she had in her hand. "Guess who's the new administrator for Poetry Club?"

I furrowed my eyebrows confused, tilting my head to her. "Don't be like that, Mrs. Eastwood is-" I stopped as I continued to read that the meeting for original members would be held in Mr. Healy's room. "Of fucking course."

She raised a brow to me with a nervous chuckle. "You say it likes it's a bad thing? I'm sure Mr. Healy is just as good with poetry as Mrs. Eastwood?"

Hung up on my ideals, I disagreed with her and continued on to what seemed to be a dreadful lunch, even despite the chirping gossip the group I was in seemed to be having. So by the time it came time for me to grade assignments for Eastwood, I was able to speak my mind.

"I just don't see why we need a new administrator for the club. Just because he teaches literature and is on his way to getting a doctorate-"

She chuckled, amused by my disagreement with such a change. "Exactly what you're saying is why I left Mr. Healy in charge with the club. You're President this year and I'm sorry Emma, but you'll have to get used to him." She shrugged as she arranged her PowerPoint to be played on the screen to a now busy Sophomore English class. "Besides, I already spoke to him about you and how you knew best to arrange the club."

My eyes widened in surprise and I found myself unable to form words coherently. "But- But- It's not that simple is it? I mean, psh, it isn't, right?"

Mrs. Eastwood nodded to me. "You'll be fine." And with that she continued teaching while I continued inputting grades. And the world before seemed to be a lot simpler then.