Chapter 4: So Far ( It's Alright)

The pen sat in between the pages of my journal as I sat atop the stands of the football field. The morning practice for some sports were beginning to end and I checked the time to see if anyone had messaged me asking where I was. Of course, that was merely just 2 people who ever cared about my whereabouts at this damned school. The jocks started to make their way back to the locker rooms while I dreaded the fact that in a few moments I too would have to force myself into a classroom with the rest of the student body, simply doing what I was told like everyone else. Now I'm being a bit too philosophical this morning, aren't I?

I got up from my seat, deciding that grabbing a tardy pass wasn't worth it and that I'd be getting out for the majority of classes to set up for- "So is Poetry Club going to have a booth for Club Rush today?" Ryder asked me on the way to first period.

"Of course, we're in dire need of new members since the club is still fairly new," I responded almost instantly, "And don't make a remark about Mr. Healy being the new coordinator. I get enough of that from Anna."

She laughed at the very thought and shook her head. "Not really as obsessed with the teacher as she is, but I will hide away any sarcastic comments I deem necessary to make. See you at your booth at lunch then, kid." With that she left as well, leaving me to walk along the sea of students all seemingly going the same way I was. Getting to class is like L.A. traffic; always busy and always managing to result in a subsequent migraine.

The day seemed to linger on as much as it could before my early release to set up the booth before lunch during...4th period. As I grabbed my things off my desk and received a farewell from Anna, Mr. Healy called me over to his desk, only to leave my heart to race quickly due to nerves. "Emma, if you don't mind, I wanted to talk about the club with you after getting sign ups during lunch. I'll write you a note to your 5th period, so you don't have to worry."

I nodded, forgetting to breath for a moment. "Yeah that's alright with me. See you then, Mr. Healy." He nodded and went back to grading, leaving me to be off and finally get a breath in.

The table was already set up by ASB, leaving me to only have to put up the posters that were made to grab peoples' attention and the sign up sheet itself. I looked to my fellow board members, Liz and Evan, simply smiling as the two of them were ready to go around the crowds with their posters. The bell rang and the two turned to me expectantly. "Alright Ms. President, just say the word and we're off," Evan joked, making me and Liz roll our eyes.

"Just go, I'll man the booth while you guys are off," I said and they nodded in agreement, beginning to spread the word.

***

Once the bell sounded for dismal and the three of us finished clean up, I sighed and said goodbye to them before heading to Mr. Healy's classroom. The class seemed to be empty as I passed by the tree that marked me being head Mr. Healy's side of the class. I couldn't help but stand in front of the classroom door for few seconds before getting the nerve to open the door. Peeking my head inside first, I noticed Mr. Healy look up, his glasses perched at the bridge of his nose and his hair tied back.

He put down his glasses and stood up briefly. "Come, sit. Don't be a stranger." I nodded and closed the door behind me to sit in front of his desk as causally as I could, trying not to make the situation awkward like I usually did. "So, how many members signed up according to the list?" He asked, flicking his rubber band ball while looking out the window, completely distracted by what was going on.

"About 60. I'd expect from that that half of them will show up to the first meeting and then from there, the numbers will fade drastically. It's fairly normal," I explained to him, only managing to do so because of the fact that I was staring at the clipboard the whole time.

Mr. Healy chuckled over this and shook his head. "You seem to have everything under control in your part then. Mrs. Eastwood did say you're the one who advocated for the club to be formed; she spoke very highly of you when she recommended for me to be club advisor," He explained.

I stood silent for a second, processing this now growing conversation for a moment. He seemed to acknowledge this and smiled at my shyness, almost being amused by it from the looks of it. "Well she may have gone a bit overboard with the flowery adjectives in describing me and the whole situation. All I had to do was get a bunch of people to sign a petition for the club and that was pretty much it. As for me having everything under control- to be honest I really don't have anything under control, I'm just well-managed and adjusted."

The awkward silence now came from his end as he adjusted his reading glasses, the smile still visible on his face. "I don't think her words were an understatement. You're an intelligent woman Emma." He chuckled, "and very bold." He clapped his hands suddenly, grabbing a sticky note and pen to write me a note for my 5th period class. "I'd love to stay and chat with you about existentialism and the true chaos that is life, but I'm afraid I'd be keeping you from class."

I took the note from his hand and stood up, following suit to the door. Stopping for a second, I turned back around to Mr. Healy. "Have a good day, Mr. Healy."

He saluted to me, jokingly. "You as well, Emma." With a grin, I shut the door and made my way to Ms. Frangipane's class. The crimson blush finally settled into my face as I passed by to see my reflection on classroom doors, so I turned in my t-shirt collar as I hurried to class.