Chapter 10: Chocolate

Song Selection: I Want to Hold Your Hand by The Beatles

Anna stared me down as I casually walked out of Eastwood's class, my nose stuck reading Act I of Hamlet. I looked up to her and chuckled, shutting the book for a second. "Am I missing something-"

"I know I got asked recently to homecoming." She came over and brushed off my shoulder with a small smirk. "And Ryder got asked today. And word on the street is-"

I kept walking with a light laugh, ignoring her words. "I think you're making a big deal out of a situation that is not likely to happen by any means. Your word on the street may, in fact, be false."

A rush came behind me as I felt her try and catch up. "When has my word on the street failed? C'mon, is it that hard to believe a guy would actually want to ask you to hoco?"

Stopping myself, I thought for a second about it and snapped my fingers sarcastically. "I'd actually have to care a great deal about the situation to even bother worrying about it, okay?" I told her and shook her head to walk beside me.

"He's asking you tomorrow before class and I'm not exactly sure what the proposal involves, but I'm fairly certain there are chocolates," She explained to me and I laughed, Ryder to tilting her head to the two of as we met up by Anna's car, "I'm explaining the hoco proposal."

"There is chocolate involved and apparently a teddy bear," Ryder added, causing for me to fake a gasp as I took a seat in the back as the three of us drove for lunch after school.

***

I sipped my coffee steadily, walking past the morning dew on the trees I passed on my way to school. Ah, such peace.

Seeing Anna's car already parked at the student parking lot, I couldn't help to grin and took out my ear buds as I made my way to our usual spot. Such led me to pass by other students chattering away about whatever the hell seemed to be so important to them this early in the morning. "I think I'm betting everything just so you believe," Anna immediately greeted me by saying.

I haven't even finished my coffee; it's too early for this.

I shut my eyes for a second and continued sipping as I tuned out the rant she was giving me about the situation. All I knew that it was plainly obvious Colin would ask me to homecoming as I apparently seemed to be of keen interest at this point in time, but why be worked up about something that isn't going to turn into something more.

The bell rang, leaving Anna to slowly shut her mouth. I smiled and shook my head to her. "Guess we'll just see if your gossip is actually correct," I taunted her by saying. She heaved a deep sigh and Ryder walked with her, clearly holding in her own laughter.

I casually walked to class regardless of the situation, tossing my coffee before entering the building and making the usual turn to the class itself. However, this time the path was cleared of the usual traffic of people and I noticed Colin standing in front of the door with a stuffed bear, box of chocolates, and a sign reading: It'd be Bear-y sweet if you could go to homecoming with me.

Being it was a bit too early for my liking for something like this, I stepped forward and took the bear and chocolates he handed to me with a wide-grin. "I'm a sucker for cheesy shit like this, you know."

He shrugged with a light laugh. "Lucky for me then."

I rolled my eyes and hugged him, a faint aw being heard behind the two of us. The final bell soon rang, causing for many of the students watching us to rush to class. Colin opened the door ahead for me and I hid my own blush creeping onto my cheeks as I stepped inside.

'Course, the sweet parts of the day were soon droned out by both Anna and Ryder complaining at the fact that they were not there to witness the festivities. "Has our Emerson finally cracked and joined the rest of us? How shocking!" Ryder joked as I continued to hold onto the bear.

"I had to conform at sometime, let's be honest here," I said, causing for us to continue laughing hysterically.

Anna clasped her hands suddenly, Ryder and I turning to her immediately. "We have some important matters to discuss now." I titled my head to her confused as a small smirk grew on her face. "Dress shopping." I pushed her aside, the laughter being felt throughout my body at this point in time.

Ah, finally, a normal high school moment...that is very much not likely to last long.