Chapter 12: 12

Song Selection: May I have this Dance by Francis and the Lights

I tied on my necklace, looking in the mirror to make sure that I hadn't flipped the pendant. My mother was leaning on my doorway with a small smile and sighed. "I'm glad you've improved so much Emma. I'd never thought you'd be able to feel so comfortable-"

"Mom, seriously, I don't need coddling today. Just please give me that," I interrupted to say, my frustration with her at a breaking point. She looked to me surprised and exited the room, leaving me by myself once again.

I'm not fucking soft, I've learned to handle my own mental stability how ever I fit.

My phone started to ring in the midst of my thoughts and I answered the group call with Anna and Ryder. Anna was in the midst of curling her hair, struggling to maintain her face in the camera frame while Ryder applied her eyeliner skillfully. "So what time are you picking me up?" I spoke first to say, sitting myself on the bed to talk to them comfortably.

"In like an hour or so since I won't be done getting ready anytime soon," Anna said, causing for Ryder and I to chuckle.

"Just get something to eat before we come over. It's not like your house is miles away from school anyways," Ryder joked and I rolled my eyes, laughing as well, "So, Colin meeting you at school then?"

I began to blush at the reminder and replied with a simple yes, receiving an aw from the two of them as a result. "Our little girl is all grown up! I can't-"

"Geez, I'll see you guys soon. I'm going to get some dinner before the dance." I then hung up and began to fix the ponytail I had made for myself. Coming downstairs to see both my parents surprised at my appearance caused for me to be even more embarrassed, even more so as my mother snapped numerous amounts of photos of me.

"We're just so happy to see you've come this far in your mental health, that's all," My dad explained, causing for my mother to slowly frowned.

I only gave the two of them a small smile and sat down to eat dinner before I heard Anna honking outside to pick me up. The two of them looked gorgeous as ever as I took a seat in the back, immediately feeling the compliments from the two of them gratefully. "Actual queens are in this car and it is perfection," Ryder said, while Anna parked the car.

"I think we've always been actual queens, let's be honest," I reminded her, noticing the line to enter already building. I began texting for Colin ultimately, seeing Anna and Ryder doing the same for their dates. It wasn't until the three of us reached the front of the lines that I caught sight of him, dressed nicely in a dress shirt, slacks, and loafers.

His face was noticeably darkening even under the night light, causing for me to smile. "You look beautiful."

I gestured to him. "And you clean up quite nicely, might I say." He brushed off the shirt, making me chuckle and taking his hand to have the two of us enter. Though the two of us began conversation quite easily, I began to distract myself as I searched for where Mr. Healy could be.

Noticing him no where, I decided to not waste the night and began to busy myself with dancing amongst Anna, Ryder, and our dates, seeing as we couldn't spend homecoming separately. The night seemed to pass by quickly, already being time to announce homecoming king and queen. It was then that the 6 of us decided to take a break from dancing for a few moments, leaving for me to notice Mr. Healy by the snacks and drinks table.

From the dazed expression on his face, he seemed to look just as lost as I felt. It wasn't until I noticed him look in my direction that I got up and excused myself from the group. My own raw emotions got the best of me as I began to feel more vulnerable upon remembering the last time we-

"Emma."

I turned around to see Mr. Healy standing a few steps away from me in the darker shadows away from the dance. There now lay this thickening tension as he eased closer to me and I began to paint into detail the way he looked tonight. His messy curls were hidden under the gel that made his hair slicked back as well as the suit he accompanied with his look. "It's- nice to see you tonight."

The look in his eyes continued to leave me at a loss for words as I continued looking on at his presence. "You look lovely as ever."

It was then that I laughed at his comment and shook my head, raising a hand. "Geez, you're toying me this point; I hope you know that," I admitted rather boldly. This led Mr. Healy to close his mouth slowly and looked to me guiltily.

"Now's time for our slow song for tonight in honor of our homecoming king and queen. Grab someone and enjoy this moment," The dj said some distance away.

Mr. Healy stepped forward and took my hand into his, pulling me towards him. "May I have this dance?"

I nodded, wrapping myself in his embrace as we swayed to the music. I tucked my head into his shoulder, shutting my eyes for a moment to appreciate this intimacy. Neither of us said another word then, leaving for me to feel the reality of the tension that was, in fact, growing between the two of us.

It wasn't until the song ended and the typical music that had since been playing started again, leaving me to notice the two of us dancing the same regardless. Mr. Healy let go of me for a second, allowing for me to stare into his eyes as there occupied little space between the two of us now.

He leaned in, kissing me softly as I did so back without hesitation. His hands rested on my chin, tilting my head to deepen the kiss between us. I then parted from him quickly, realizing the severity of this situation in this moment between the two of us. "I have to go."

I slowly let go of the grasp I had on his hand and ran off back to the festivities, still feeling the kiss on my lips the rest of the night and well past midnight.

A/N I only updated all 3 of these at once because these are the chapters I've been building off the story of as this was my original idea for the fic lol hopefully there will still be updates ASAP

~Jane Smith 💋