Chapter 38: Settle Down

Song Selection: Sweet Creature by Harry Styles

Seeing a mess of curls adorned fairly nicely with a paired floral  suit, I was soon seated alert at the sight. He hadn't noticed me from  when I looked to him standing there to have me wonder if he'd even been  paying any attention to see if I'd shown up. "Now's time for our slow  song for tonight in honor of our prom king and queen. Grab someone and  enjoy this moment," The DJ spoke aloud.

A sense of deja vú began as I sat there for a moment in bewilderment.  Charles stood before me in this moment to extend a hand out to me. I  took his hand as he pulled me back down to the dance floor to hold me  close. "May I have this dance?"

The comparison continued to drive me mad. It felt wrong, it was all wrong. This- this isn't the moment I wanted even if it's the moment  that was the best for me.

The song continued to play as the two of us swayed to the soft sound of the music, making the attempt to try and distract myself from anything other than Matty all the more difficult. Looking up to see Charles engrossed with my presence by the look in his eyes made the feeling all the more sickening. He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear for a moment with a small smile. "You've been constantly trying to get me to fall for you- I don't get it."

"Emma, I haven't met anyone like you and the fact that you can keep me entertained with anything you say makes you all the more interesting. You're beautiful inside and out-" He laughed at the thought. "It's only fitting." I smiled at the words as he leaned down to kiss me. The deja vú continued for a moment as I reciprocated the kiss before parting ways from him when the song was over. Seeing Matty had turned his back to the dance floor and was walking away left me stuck between the two. The dancing continued on for a moment as I furrowed my brows for a moment, trying to think.

Not like there was much to think about.

"I'll be back," I said rather hurriedly.

Holding my dress, I ran off of the dance floor into the direction I watched him go. Leading myself up to the staircase to a second floor of the venue, I looked around to see there was no one else up here beside me. Searching this way until only finding some simple decorations, I sighed out of stupidity and sat myself on the steps in defeat. "You followed me?"

I looked up to see Matty frowning in front of me and only looked up to him questionably. "Are you running from me?"

He looked around to only extend a hand out to me. I took it silently and followed him willingly to a storage room with the extra supplies as he shut the door behind him. "You shouldn't have followed me."

"Well you shouldn't have left so obviously,"I told him.

Matty eyed me seriously. "Emma, you wanted me to go away. That meant I was going to stay away." I cringed at the thought for a moment as he stepped forward to me. "If this can't be mended, I want to stop waiting for it to be."

Groaning in annoyance by this, I continued to be frustrated over this. "I hate you."

He nodded. "I know."

"You've ruined me."

"I know."

"You should have never kissed me."

"I know."

Having said all of this didn't make me angrier at him. If anything it only made me all the more upset as he continued to agree with me. Wiping off the tears from my cheeks, I shook my head. "Then why can't I get over you?"

Matty continued to allow me to bash him with my words nonetheless. "I don't know." I wanted so badly to push him- or be pushed by him to come back to him.

He stepped forward innocently to take my hands in his. Rubbing my palm gently, I looked to him confused. "Do you know what goes through my head whenever I see you." I remained silent, falling for him yet again as he pulled me close. I rested my head against his chest to feel how calm he was now. "I try so hard to see even a glimmer of your smile that sometimes I feel like a complete idiot for doing it. You've got this look about you that keeps being etched into my mind so seamlessly. You speak as if you've been around to know all the secrets the Earth seems to hold."

Matty parted from me for a moment, cupping my cheek in his hands to have me weak to the touch. "Emma, I fell in love with you in stages. And I know I can never seem to get it right, but how am I supposed to easily let go of someone who I felt I've been in love with for the best parts of my life?" He looked down guiltily. "And I'm sorry I'd ever fallen for you."

I stared at him for a moment. He meant every word, which continued to have me question my mental health and sanity for depending on him again. It wasn't until I thought for a moment that I didn't depend on him, I never did. He just highlighted the better parts of me I had continued to ignore for so long. "How can you do that?" I asked him.

"Do what exactly?"

"Be such a bad thing and yet the one thing I need?"

Matty gave me a small smile at this and shrugged his shoulders. "You opiate this hazy head of mine. Better than any drug could. Tell me, how do you do that?"

I smiled back up to him. "Guess we're both a bit of a mess for one another, eh?"

"Seems so." His hand went down to the small of my back. He lifted me up to my toes easily, leaning down to kiss me softly.

And I couldn't be more in love.