Chapter Nine: Truly,Madly & Deeply

I didn't knew when we reached home. It seemed that time just passed when I was with him. I was trying to find his motive behind all this. Why was he trying to make a place in my heart? When he knew I can't give anything? He looked at me passionately while my blank eyes couldn't match up with him.

"What are you looking at Nandini?" He asked me and I bit my lip embarrassingly.

"It's just that, Manik. Kyun kar Raho yeh Sab mere Liye? When you know, you aren't going to get anything in return?" I said and he looked at me.

"Who said I am not gonna get anything? I am getting you, Nandini. I am stealing your last name and I am sure I'll be stealing your heart for sure in some time. And after, getting all this, am I still not getting anything." He said and I couldn't help but admire this imperfectly perfect man.

"I can't understand you, Manik. The only thing is Thank you for doing this for me, my parents, my family. I am really grateful to you." I said and he looked upset on it.

" Nandini, this is not fair. I did so much for you and you said Thank you? I did this for me, my parents,my family. You're not anywhere near it. So stay away, and don't you dare say thank you again." He said and I was so proud, where do you get such boys who accept your family as theirs. I was so glad I met this man.

"Okay, baba. Nahi bolungi. Bye and Good Night. I had a great time with you and sorry for that Madhyam incident." I said and he once again glared for sorry and I pulled my ears a little and made a pout. He smiled.

"Bye, Good Night, Sleep Tight, Don't let the bed bugs bite. Nandini, you might be finding this weird but trust me, you'll understand me when you'll fall in true love. Not in some infatuation. And miss me!" He said and made his way to his home while I just looked on.

"How was your date Bacha?" Amma asked me as she opened and door and let me in. I just smiled and she was satisfied. "Beta, I don't know if all this is happening is right or not. But, I have noticed, Manik is the right guy for you. I have seen a spark in his eyes which tells me he is the best you could get and I feel some kind of assurance that you'll be safe and secure with him. Now, I know I no longer need to care for you, Manik is there for you. I know he'll never hurt you no matter what." She spoke in the most tender manner and I was happy. Madhyam had never won my parent's heart this way,which Manik had won. But the only problem, I wish I had met Manik before Madhyam. In that way, I had been happiest.

"Amma, Manik is indeed the best guy and I am sure he'll be the best husband. But unfortunately, I can't be his best wife. I won't be able to give him what he deserves and that is so unfortunate." I said and Amma cupped my face and kissed me on my forehead tenderly.

"Don't say like that, dear. Best wife ya husband nahi hote, best toh relationship hote hai. And you know what, jab relationship best hota hai toh chahe tum kitne bhi imperfect ho, but for each other, you are perfect and the best. And this is perfect." She whispered and some tears fell on my shoulder which Amma had just shedded.

I wiped them, and she smiled and asked me to go to sleep. I lay down on the bed and suddenly my phone buzzed. It was a message from Manik.

"Goodnight Beautiful. Don't forget to dream about me.*wink*"

I smiled and typed. "Mr. This is a very old way of impressing girls. Try something new. Main aise nahi impress hone wali."
I sent and waited for his reply eagerly.

"I believe in classic things Madam. Why to try something that is not tested? I believe in things that are tried and tested."

And suddenly this fun conversation made me upset. It made think , that was Manik just marrying me because I was tried and tested?

I didn't reply, I just closed my eyes and tried to sleep. In few seconds I got a call from Manik.

"Hey, what happened?" His voice was full of concern and I just sniffed.

"You were crying? Why? Did I say something wrong?"

"Manik, you said you believed in tried and tested things? Is that why you're marrying me? Just because I am tried and tested?" I said in a hurt voice and waited for his answer.

"No,Nandini. You're getting it wrong. I just said it while joking. I didn't mean it, Nandini. Please, I am sorry if you felt bad." He said pleadingly and I wasn't convinced.

"Manik, I don't want to talk about this anymore. I'll talk to you later. Bye." I couldn't speak more and disconnected the call.

I tried my best to sleep but sleep was miles away from me. After few minutes, my phone again rang, it was Manik. I just picked up.

"Come out, I am standing at your entrance."

Before I could say anything, he kept the mobile and I was in a state of shock. Like how? How could he come so fast? And did he care for me so much?

I came down taking the keys of the house and saw him standing there holding some cups.

"Manik, tum pagal ho kya? You came home, at this time? What if Amma and Appa wake up? Chalo, ab come inside? If someone sees us here outside, it will be a problem." I said and he just looked. Somewhere, I felt guilty. Was he not talking because of me? Did I hurt him questioning his intention towards me though he had proved his love for me everytime?

He came inside and offered me a cup. It was a cup of strawberry icecream.

"You were upset na? Icecream has proven to uplift your mood from upset to happy. That's why I brought ice cream for you. And also, I didn't knew your favourite flavour so I brought all the flavours, we have 29 more flavours like chocolate, black current, mango..."( Remember that scene? 😍)

"Uff, Manik! Are you mad? You brought 30 cups? Of all different flavours? "

"Yes, what's the big deal? You were upset na, so it's fine." He said casually and I just looked on. Madhyam didn't even tried to uplift my mood when I was upset because of him but this man was so affected by my mood. He cared for every small thing of mine.

I took the strawberry ice cream and started eating it with my hands only. Manik was searching for the spoon but then he saw me eating with my hands and admired me with all his heart. His intent gaze drew my attention towards me and he looked away.

"You don't need to shy away? You have full right to admire me. And I think,you're making a place in my heart?" I said coyly and he was excited.

"Really? Okay then, don't stop me." He said and was admiring me. I felt shy and blushed. He laughed.

"Nandu, you're so cute." He said and I just blinked my eyes to believe if he really called me Nandu. He was also a bit surprised and embarrassed for calling me by my nickname.

"You can call me Nandu, I have no problem with it." I said and he smiled a bit.

"I am falling with love with you to be Mrs Nandini Manik Malhotra. Truly, Madly and Deeply!" He whispered and I heard, I looked at him and he also looked at me.