Chapter 4 - Malibu Calling

Chapter 4 – Malibu Calling

The sun was ridiculously warm at Venice beach the following day. Trix and I were perched on separate towels trying to work out a tan without developing a shade of red.

Trix was giving me a rundown after I’d left her at work yesterday. “I could see him sneaking glances at you when you left, I think he was kind of shocked that you blew him off, but it was hard to tell.” She smirked at me, “I must say I was sort of impressed by your act myself.”

I laughed slightly. “It wasn’t an act! But, fine, it gave me a thrill.”

“Hah! I knew it!” She exclaimed. “How was dinner with Kourtney? She still living it up in the fashion biz?” Trix could change subjects faster than anyone I knew.

I nodded. “Dad and I drove her to the airport this morning, she’s going to Milan for six weeks to write for the magazine.” I shook my head in disbelief, “I helped her pack yesterday and her wardrobe has grown even more insane, the amount of stuff they give her is ridiculous. She even said I could borrow some of it!”

“You’re kidding? I wouldn’t dare touch it in fear of ruining some of it.”

“Yeah no shit,” I agreed, “I think I’ll just end up admiring it from a distance.”

I was looking forward to moving into the apartment though it had taken some convincing on the parental side. Mom and dad had complained how since they wouldn’t be seeing me much come fall they felt I should live at home this summer. But since Kourtney was only going to be away for six weeks and I would come home once she got back, they eventually agreed to let me have some freedom as long as I came home every now and then and gave sign of life.

“The peace and quiet is going to be so nice,” I said and Trix nodded.

“I envy you, I still have the parents and the piglet to put up with.”

“You’re welcome to keep me company you know,” I offered.

“Thanks, you might just have to put up with me for five nights, or fifty,” she joked.

We lounged in the sun for a while, listening to music and talking and joking. I had passed the point where my skin was uncomfortably warm an hour ago, now it felt as if it was melting off of my body.

“God, it’s hot,” Trix said, mirroring my thoughts. I nodded in agreement and wiped my face with the towel. It didn’t help much.

“I give up,” I announced and stood up, “I’m going in the water. You joining or are you going to lie here and torture yourself?”

“Hell no, I’m in!” She was on her feet and we sprinted down to the shore while laughing.

The water was warm, but not nearly as much as lying in the sun had been so it helped cool me down at lease a little. I floated on my back for a while, letting the water seep into my hair without getting any of it in my face.

After having an unceremonious water fight, making my attempt to not get water in my face completely pointless, we both called a truce and walked back to our spots on the crowded beach. I dried off using one of my spare towels, getting rid of all the salt on my body before reapplying some sunscreen.

“It feels good to have a few days off of work,” Trix said with her eyes closed, drinking in the warm weather.

“I’m definitely not complaining about the company,” I said and put the bottle of sunscreen back in my bag before checking my phone.

“Austin texted me,” I said as soon as I saw the name on my screen. Trix’s eyes opened and she rolled over to look at me. “Why would he do that?”