Characters (updated)

UPDATED VERSION:

This is an updated version of the characters.  As you can see, I revamped the characters and added a lot more.  Please let me hear your thoughts below!!

~Watercolur

CHARACTERS

House of Jang

JANG PIL SEUNG--renowned through Hanyang as a well-known face reader who becomes embroiled in politics which leads to his death after losing his eyesight and becoming enslaved.  

ISSUE:

JANG EUN BI--inherits her father’s talent for face reading and enters the palace as a palace maid to seek revenge against the Royal Family for her father and brother’s death.  She aids the Crown Prince in palatial politics.  She is a mute due to an incident in her childhood. She became a slave for Kim Hwang Bo’s family and it’s not until she is 10 years old, and her freedom is bought by a mysterious merchant, Gyu Wol.  She comes across as someone who is hard to get to know, especially after all the hardships she goes through.  She hardly ever lets anyone close to her, but has a soft spot for the Crown Prince and her only friends are Chae Yeon Hee and Kim Su Dong.

JANG SANG WOO--Eun Bi’s older brother who had a bright future ahead of him in becoming an official after passing the gwageo exam until he was made to become a eunuch and sent to the palace therefore ending the Jang family line.  

House of Yi 

YI BUN,  KING GYEONGJO--he is known among others as a wolf.  Very sly and cunning.  He can sometimes be very sagacious and caring towards his people, but if his power is ever threatened then he has no qualms in disposing of those that get in his way.  He harbors a secret love towards Eun Bi, but thinks face reading as Chinese superstitions.  Yi Bun always makes it clear to those around him whom he favors and whom he dislikes with there never being a middle ground between the two.  He has a great memory and can remember anything, he often tests the Crown Prince on his studies.

Consorts and their Respective Issues:

QUEEN INSUN--is very respected in the palace, but her demeanor is very similar to Crown Princess Minhoe’s and her children are rather fearful and in awe of her than affectionate

YI HWANG, CROWN PRINCE SUHYON--a virtuous, intellegent young man who strives to please his father in everything he does. He has starved for affection since young.  His only companions were his servants, but instead of giving him the affection he needed since young they would use him eventually leading him to become emotionally unstable and a “clothing” phobia after never receiving affection from either his father, mother, or even wife until he meets Eun Bi.  He is also very interested in physiognomy almost to the point of obsession and anything related to Western culture.  He is very open minded and wishes to open Joseon’s doors to the outside world and dreams of traveling to different lands, but is often reprimanded by his father for such silly illusions.

CROWN PRINCESS MINHOE (m.)--a year older than her husband, she is considered a classic beauty but always carries her features in a stern mask.  She is a stickler for rules and does not care to open herself up to anyone.  She is very prideful and hates when the Royal Family’s reputation is compromised.

Crown Prince and Crown Princess ISSUE:

*Princess Myeongshin

*Princess Myeonhye

PRINCESS HWAPYEONG

PRINCESS HWASUN

PRINCESS HWAUI--the King’s favorite child, Princess Hwaui exudes a cheerful and loving nature.  She looks up to and respects her older brother.  She is the youngest of Queen Yun’s issue.  She does not like learning and would rather play with her white, fluffy dog Dooman (Mandoo/dumpling).  Upon meeting, Eun Ho, she eventually becomes infatuated with him.

HAN CHUN OK, Royal Noble Consort Han/GONG-BIN--quite an evil character who tries to depose the Crown Prince so that her own son, Prince Yeonsan, can be crowned.

PRINCESS SOHYE--a girl deprived of her mother’s affection and a great dislike from her father, she has an inferiority complex towards her younger sister, Princess Hwaui.  She has an unrequited love with Kim Su Dong.

YI HYEON, PRINCE YEONAN--a boy of 10, he is greatly favored by his father and much younger than the Crown Prince.  

CHOI GWI-IN--her son, Prince Hyosung, died young, but is now hardly visited by the king        

PRINCE HYOSUNG--a prince that died at 11 years old before Hwang was born and almost invested as Crown Prince

House of Chae

CHAE BANG WON--a brush maker who is very reserved and quiet and a son of a poor forgotten noble family

CHAE YUN SIK--a hopeless freeloader that often visit the gisaeng house and Bang Won’s younger brother, but has a lot of affection for his nephew, Eun Ho and his daugther, Yeon Hee.

CHAE EUN HO--Bang Won’s only son who is very bright and intelligent.  He is reserved like his father, but very kind hearted and soft-spoken even though his outward appearance may seem cold and unapproachable.  He works as a teacher in the Jonghak and becomes Princess Hwaui’s tutor after passing the gwageo with top marks.  He is also Princess Hwaui’s love interest.

CHAE YEON HEE--a lovely palace maid and Yun Sik’s daughter.  She meets Jang Sang Woo and they become embroiled in a scandalous love affair

LADY KANG--Yun Sik’s wife who’s loud and brash and always gets on to her husband about his infidelity

House of Kim

KIM HWANG BO, PRIME MINISTER KIM--Su Dong’s father and a man with “eyes like a hawk and character like a viper”

LADY KWAK--cousin to Queen Yun

KIM SU DONG--has an unrequited love for Eun Bi since they were childhood friends when she came to live with his family at 5 years old as a slave.  He can be a very calm, soft-hearted man who is known throughout Hanyang for his smarts and good looks and can seemingly win over anyone with his kind, charming smile.  He is the Crown Prince’s Royal Secretary.  His only major flaw is his tendency to be pushy when things don’t go his way.

OTHER CHARACTERS

MUNO--narrator and a ghost reaper who collects souls for Yama, King of the Underworld, but is also in charge of Arang because she refuses to depart for the after life

ARANG--a young child, even though she died as an adult but sees her childhood as the happiest time of her life is why she chose to revert back to being a child, only hangs around the palace and is always followed around by Muno because his job is not yet done

GYU WOL--a rich mysterious rich merchant who always helps Eun Bi when she is in trouble.