Chapter 1

Picture of Song Hye Kyo as Princess Chaewon.

"Gongjumama!" the princess' attendants called out to her as Princess Chaewon was running in a very unladylike manner throughout the palace to her sister's own quarters.  

"Is that Princess Chaewon I see?" called out a familiar, warm voice. 

Turning around, the princess' eyes light up with excitement.  "Abumama!"

He chuckled and held his arms out for her.   "Come my daughter!"  Running up to him, she embraced him and laughed.  "My flower is certainly as carefree as a bee in the spring, isn't that right Court Lady Jo?"  The king looked at Princess Chaewon's head court lady as he flashed her a quick wink.

"Jeonha!" she said as she bowed with the rest of the attendants following suit.  "Forgive this servant's failings."

"How so?" he teased in a kingly manner.

"I have failed to advise the princess in court etiquette, jeonha."

"Nonsense!  The princess is still young and should be able to do as she pleases until she marries," he argued.

"Such reasoning is absurd, jeonha!" replied a voice.

"Jungjeon!" the King announced the arrival of his wife.  "I was just heading towards your quarters."

"Omamama!" Princess Chaewon and the rest of the attendants bowed at her entrance.

"My daughter."  She smiled and patted her child's shoulder.

"Now what is this you say is absurd, jungjeon?"

"Princess Chaewon is already 15 and at a marriageable age.  She must learn now or never will," the Queen protested.  "Besides, you dote on her too much."

"Of course, my dear.  She is my most beloved."  He chuckled and placed a loving arm around his daughter's shoulder while planting a kiss on the top of her head.  She could feel his beard tickling her scalp.  She giggled.  "Now, my dear, where you were heading that made you flee your attendants?"

"To Eonni's quarters," she replied smiling.

"Princess Sohye's quarters?" the King asked as a hint of disbelief coated his voice.  Princess Chaewon nodded.  An irritated look passed over the Queen's face, but quickly replaced with an unfathomable expression.

"I am sure she is still studying," said Queen Yun.

"But Court Lady Jo said that she should be done soon.  I was going to surprise her with a visit," she said innocently.  She flashed a pure, beautiful smile that her father absolutely adored.  Dimples graced her cheeks giving her a more childlike appearance.  The King gave a sad smile towards her direction.  Sad at the thought of his favorite daughter growing up and having to face the fact that she would one day belong to her husband.  He was glad that his daughter had not yet experienced the harsh realities of palace and the politics that came along with it.  

"I don't think you should go," Queen Yun objected now frowning.

"Why not, Omamama?" Princess Chaewon inquired looking very disappointed.

"You should go visit your sister, Chaewon," he said gently waving a hand towards Princess Sohye' quarters.   

"Thank you, Abamama!"  She hugged him as her face lit up with excitement.  She then ran off with her poor attendants trailing after her.  

"Jeonha."  Queen Yun sighed.

"I know, my dear."  He placed a gentle hand on her frail shoulder.