Chapter 11

((Hey guys! Thanks for all the reads so far. This story is taking off fast! Above is a picture of Cam))

Commander's POV
Everyone else, including I, watched in silence hoping for Austin to return, or at least with more survivors. Suddenly, we saw two figures through the thick black smoke.

"Look!" I shouted. Everyone looked at the two people with their arms around each other. Right then I knew who it was. It was Cam and Gally. Gally looked like he had a broken leg. I jogged over to them and pulled Gally down to the ground so he can rest his leg. I began to examine his keg and confirmed that it was broken in two spots.

"Yep, two fractures." I said to him. He groaned. I walked over to Cam who was talking to Henry.
"You hurt?" I asked him.

"No. But Austin is still in there. He found us both and went to look for more survivors." He replied, dirt falling form his spiked hair every time he moved.

"Ok. Here is the plan. Eight people stay here and the rest split up throughout the field to look for more survivors. If you find one, whistle and I'll come. Afterwards, we will eat one EMP. We will eat one per day." I said. EMP's were food packets that was a small meal. Barely a meal, if you ask me. However, I shouldn't be the one complaining.

"Those staying can set up a camp." I added. I grouped up people and the ones who weren't one of the eight explored the field. Of course, Gally stayed behind trying to help set up the camp.

There were so many people searching the field that it only took half an hour before someone whistled. I was paired up with Cam and Henry.

"C'mon." I said. We jogged over to where the person stood whistling. Everyone was there and it seemed like we were the last ones to arrive. Everyone was packed together in a crowd looking down at something waiting for orders form me.

"What is it?" I said while pushing my way through the crowd. Suddenly, I came to an abrupt stop looking down into the deep crater. I knew instantly who was on the bottom. It was Austin who seemed to be out cold until he began to cough with his eyes closed. The crater didn't seem to be too deep so I jumped off the edge. Once I hit the hard ground, I jogged over to Austin and kneeled by his side. I learned in training that if someone is unconscious, talk to them in case they can hear you.

"Austin," I began. "If you can hear me, try to wake up so we can see how you feel."

Zane and Tom's POV
We packed up everything-which wasn't a lot-and began to walk. We strained to listen for any sounds but all we heard was the crunching of leaves under out boots. Our stomachs growled and the day got colder by the minute. What shocked us the most was the fact that we haven't seen any deer. If that continues, we will definitely die of starvation. We were exhausted and starving by the time we made camp. The sun went down and we avoided starting up a fire because of the light it could make. My stomach had stopped making noises, although, it was because there was no hope of finding any food. Tom laid down across from me a couple feet away facing the opposite of me. Finally, I fell asleep.

Austin's POV
I could hear and feel everything. It was like I was awake but....wasn't. I tried hard to move my fingers and finally, I began feeling warm blood rush through my veins. I made small movements with my fingers. And then came the torture. I violently coughed and coughed hard. I felt a liquid rush up through my throat and hit my tastebuds and instantly realized it was blood. My eyes slowly opened, and I felt disoriented. I looked around confused until I realized my surroundings. A silhouette was in front of me. As my eyes began to focus, I realized it was the commander. I heard a quiet voice say my name. Again, it continued to say it and got louder each time. Finally, I heard the voice clearly.

"Commander?" I said. My voice came out weak and cracked.

"Austin, are you okay?" He asked me. I slightly nodded yes while trying my best to hold in my coughs.

"Come on, we have to hurry. Who ever set off this trap will be coming soon and I don't want to be around to find out who it was." As the commander helped me to my feet, almost no one was at the top of the crater because they went back to the camp by commander's orders. The rest that stayed were only two people- Cam and Henry- who were going to help us get out of the crater. First, the commander jumped up needing only a hand to hold onto to get out of the crater. Next, was I. Although I was still coughing and felt slightly dizzy, I jumped as high as I could, grabbing hold on the top of the crater with both my hands. Cam kneeled down extending his two hands out for me to grab onto. I grabbed a hold of his arms and he pulled me up. I coughed again, spitting out blood on the ground, it stinging my throat badly. The commander looked at me worriedly.

"You okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I said reassuringly. I could tell he didn't believe me but the three of us began to walk back to the camp.

"Can I have a Walkie?" I asked them. Henry gave me mine.

"Thanks." I said.

"You're not going to use it?" Henry asked me.

"I'm going to keep it. In case I die, I don't wanna die whiteout the general knowing." I replied. Henry had another Walkie with him from other people he found dead. Although he didn't want to take anything from the dead, we had to. We knew that if the people that we stole from were still alive, they would want the best for us.

Once we reached the camp a few miles away, everyone set up a medical center, even though there was little supplies, tents from leaves and branches, and a fire pit that had a small fire in it. Everyone was either done eating their EMP, or finishing eat. Besides, it was already late afternoon. Henry and the commander sat down next to the growing fire along with other people who were going to sleep by it.

"You wanna eat?" He asked me.

"I'm not hungry." I replied. I don't know why, but ever since I fell unconscious, I didn't want to eat anything. I knew I should because I haven't in almost a day now, but I just didn't feel like it. Maybe it was a side effect from smoke inhalation. Whatever it was, I didn't care anymore. I laid down by the edge of the woods and by one of the tents alone, and eventually fell asleep with my gun at my side.

A&N
Thanks for all the reads so far! Special thanks to the jcrobgirl for voting on all of my chapters so far! One more thing, if your wondering why this chapter is called chapter 1-, it's because I couldn't think of a name. If you can think of one, let me know in the comments and I will choose the one I like best! Your name will also be credited in the corresponding chapter. Good luck!👍👍👍