One step closer

Chief's POV
People were wondering what happened to everyone out on the field and about Zane and Tom. Some told me to give up, that they are already dead. But I chose not to listen to them. I gave up on them once, and was wrong. I won't give up on them again.

Reporters continued to come in and ask me if I have anything to share with them, but every time the answer was no. There was nothing new to put on the news currently.

I continuously looked at the phone every now and then expecting someone to radio in, but nothing happens. Until now.

The phone at one of the computer worker's desk rang and they picked it up.
"U.S Army, anyone here, over?" They spoke.

"Section A reporting in. This is the commander. We have set up traps around the camp and caught an enemy. We interrogated him until he was forced to tell us everything. Their camp is a few miles away, probably about a days trip. Over."

"Copy that, commander. What did you do with the hostage, over?" The call was put over a speaker so only the workers could hear it in this room, no where else.

"Killed him. We have a plan to leave tomorrow and go and hopefully save Zane and Tom if they are there, over."

"Okay, commander. Copy. Good luck. Out." The worker put down the phone. I walked back into my office after hearing the plan.

Even though I knew I was going to get in more trouble than I already would be if the general found out, I went back into the camera room. I told the people to locate the location of the commander's group again and luckily we were within the time frame.

A picture came up on the large screen, revealing glitchy black and white photos of the group.

Commander's POV
The days were getting colder by the hour, which made me worry even more about Zane and Tom. We had a fire and they probably didn't. But I knew they were trained to be soldiers and could take care of themselves. However now that they were captured, I wasn't so sure how well they were being taken care of.

After killing the hostage, we had burned his body. We couldn't leave him here while we leave tomorrow or else the terrorists could have found the body. They could have followed us.

I told everyone to prepare for tomorrow which included filling up their ammo, packing their bags, and eating their meal for the day. That way we could leave early tomorrow and hope to be at the terrorist's camp by dusk.

Zane's POV
The boss came knocking on our door as soon as the first sign of the sun came out. There was a tiny crack of light in the horizon, not that we could see it since all the trees stretched out for what seemed like miles.

Today, was different, though. They still made us chop wood all day, but they separated us both so we couldn't see each other. I assumed Tom was on the other side of the camp chopping wood.

Everyday so far I have been starving, but the small portion of mush they gave us to eat seemed to keep us alive, even though it almost made me puke every time I ate it. However, today they never gave me any food. I hoped they gave Tom food, though.

By the end of the day, I was still cold from the weather. Today was the first snowfall, a light one. It didn't stick to the ground.

My hands were peeling and bleeding in various spots. I wanted to keep my gloves on while I chopped the wood, but my gloves wouldn't get a good grip on the axe handle. If this was my punishment, it wasn't as bad as I thought.
After I just couldn't chop any more wood from my throbbing hands, I pulled out my Walkie when the person guarding me wasn't looking. Quickly, I radioed the chief.

"US Army who is calling?" A woman said.

"Flight B-215. May I speak to the chief quickly?" The woman put him on the phone.

"Glad you are calling I-" I interrupted the chief.

"Chief, look, I have to hurry before someone notices I'm calling. They haven't given us hardly any food and I don't know how long I can do this. We are gonna try and escape. But I think they are gonna punish me real soon from what I did." I quickly spoke.

"What did you do?" The chief asked confused.

"Refused to do work, but please hurry. I think they are punishing me any minute now. The boss is coming."

"Wait, hold on son. What are they going to do? Is Tom okay?" He asked. But I didn't respond. Why? Maybe because the guard noticed me speaking. I froze in my spot, not sure what to do. He furiously walked over and ripped the Walkie out of my hands. I could hear the chief asking hello before the guard threw the Walkie on the ground and it shattered to pieces. However, that didn't settle his anger. He whistled, which I assumed meant the boss was coming.

A few guards and the boss arrived at the scene, and they communicated in a language I didn't understand.

The boss ordered for the two guards to do something.

Suddenly, I saw Tom being pushed into the sleeping room. He noticed me and stopped dead in his tracks. I could see a look of confusion spread across his face because he didn't know what was going on. But neither did I.

The guard holding Tom pushed him into the sleeping room. After all, it was completely dark outside now.

The boss stepped to the side and the two guards came over to me. They pushed me roughly to a long wooden pole sticking out of the ground. The guards pushed me to the ground and I fell on my knees. Then, they tied a rope around my wrists and the pole so my wrists were tied to the pole.
The boss stepped behind me and I knew exactly what he was going to do to me.

These terrorists were too hard on us. Just because I chopped a few pieces less of Tom I get this?

The boss pulled out a long piece of leather and I had already knew what he was going to use it as.

A whip.