The race of life

Austin's POV
I still felt a burn in my lungs from inhaling so much smoke, but I tried not to pay too much attention to it. Even though it hurt so bad that it made me frustrated, I still continued not to say anything.

We had jogged for what felt like hours more than when we had come, but we had finally reached the field of tall wheat where the plane was supposed to be.

The commander spotted the jet a long distance away at the edge of the field. I don't know how he spotted it since it was so far away.

We began to walk towards it when the commander held up a fist signaling for us to stop. He looked around, as if he heard anything.

Suddenly, a bullet shot through the air, missing us by far.

"Get down!" I shouted and men began to drop to their stomachs, almost impossible to see in the wheat field.

Bullets soared above us. If the wheat wasn't here, they would be hitting us right now. The wheat provided a sort of shied, over is that the bullets couldn't hit. The terrorists shooting at us couldn't see us in the wheat, so they were missing everyone terribly.

I pulled out my gun from underneath me and loaded it when I heard a gunshot go off far in the distance.

I knew it wasn't the terrorists because they were much closer to us, and it wasn't one of us because we were all around each other. It was someone else.

The mysterious gun shots continued for a few minutes but they weren't aimed for us.

Once no noise continued, the commander stood up and I followed. Soon, everyone was standing confused.

"It was us!" The commander said happily. I knew what he had meant. Our men a long distance away had helped us by shooting down the terrorists. They must have used snipers because it was such a long distance to shoot. Either that or they used their guns built into the airplane.

"Come on!" The commander said and he began to run towards the helicopter. Everyone ran behind him and I hoped that we wouldn't run into any terrorists.

Chief's POV
"We have sight of them, over." A man said over a phone that was crackling.

"We got cover over them. They are headed our way." He continued.

"Good. Don't let anyone else get hurt. Do you have sight of Zane, over?" I responded. I was talking to the pilot of the plane I had sent out. The navy planes were still making their way to them.

"They are to far out to see, over." He responded.

"How is Tom?" I asked him.

"He hasn't told us what had happened yet, but he is safely in the plane.
From what I can see, his hands were severely damaged, maybe even a few bones broken. We have no food for him yet and he said he was starved. But other than that, he is safe, over."

"Good. Keep me updated. Over and out." I set down my phone. At least he didn't die. So far our mission is complete but it isn't over yet. Now I can just hope that everyone else is back safely.

Suddenly, a man slammed open the doors to this room and walked angrily to me. It was the general.

"How could you? You went against my command and sent Section A and planes out on that field! I told you not to send anyone to save Tom and Zane. You might as well have just killed all of them! Do you know the consequences of disobeying my command?" He asked angrily.

"I disobeyed you because what you did was wrong. You didn't want to save them. You were willing to let them die." The general tried to interrupt me but I continued to talk. "And as of right now, my men are killing enemies and saving two more lives. That's two more than you ever saved." I spat at him.

"Disobeying me will lead to you losing command of your group. Effective after they come back, if they do." The general said and left the room.
I was lost in thought. I just lost my command, and basically fired. But not until this mission was over. And until then, I am going to do my best.
Everyone around the base had heard my punishment. They decided to plan something, something that tells people why we fight and who we are.

This was going to be a break through.

I ordered everyone; the staff and soldiers, to report to the cafeteria. Once everyone was there, I began to speak.

"After this mission, I am going to leave. The general has decided that I should because I had disobeyed him by sending troops out there. He is not a bad man, but doing his job. So, I want everyone to grab their headphones on your table and put them on. It will bring you to a channel the computer specialists found. It is the channel the pilot is talking through right now. Put the headphones on so you can hear what is happening for the mission. I what everyone to celebrate in victory once we win."

Everyone put their headphones on, tuning into the channel. We could now hear what the pilot was saying.

Austin's POV
I was running behind the group, shooting behind me every time an enemy approached. U turned back around one more time to shoot someone behind me. When I turned to face towards my group, they were gone.

I must have lost them. I began to walk through the woods when suddenly, an Iraqi wrapped his arms around my neck, holding on tight in a choke hold. I struggled to breath and trashed and kicked in his string iron grip. But he began to drag me.

I could barely breath. I continued to fight. I dropped my gun when he grabbed ahold of me so I was weapon less. I mean, I had more weapons but I couldn't reach them.

The man dragged me by the neck to a body of water and I knew what he was going to do. He was going to try and drown me.

He pushed me into the water and I instantly fell underneath it because it was so deep. I tried to swim but he held my arms down. I trashed and tried to escape, but couldn't.

I had lost all my breath and my vision began to blur. Water filled my lungs and I no longer had the energy to fight him. My eyelids fell.

Suddenly, I felt someone grabbing me by the arm and pull me into the cold air. Then everything went black.

Commander's POV
I pulled Austin out of the water after shooting the Iraqi. I laid him down in dry land and felt for a pulse on his neck and arm. There was none.

I began to push down hard on his chest, hoping to start up a heart beat again.

After thirty pushes, I stopped because I was so tired.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw Austin's eyes flutter. He began to cough up water and opened his eyes.

After he finished, he looked at me.

"That water tastes horrible." He said. I laughed. After what he had just been through, that is what he had to say?

"Come on, let's get back to the group." I replied and helped him to his feet.

After a few minutes of jogging, we could see the plane again. However, something wasn't right. The plane's propeller started and it looked like it was about to leave. But the was only one reason why it would leave: it was being shot at.