Caught in pursuit

((Above is a picture of Zane.))

Zane's POV
The door to our rickety sleeping area, or barn, flew open and in came a gruffly looking man. We was very muscular and looked like he hadn't smiled in days. In his hands were our piles of mysterious mush. His gun was slung around his shoulder.

The man walked over to Tom first, his back facing me. He handed Tom the bowl. Just before he turned around, I made my move.

I swung my leg to his feet and tripped him. He fell in the ground, mush spilling everywhere. He tried to reach for his gun but I was already on top of him, punching him in the face over and over again. He stopped fighting back, but was still conscious. I took his gun and he looked at me with fearful eyes. But I didn't care. These people tortured both of us and hurt us, so this is what they get back.

I pulled the trigger, the bullet landing in between his eyes. He was dead.
Killing him didn't affect me that much and because, well, I was a soldier and had done it many times. But every time I do, there is still a feeling of sadness.

"Fire it!" Tom said. "Before people come!"

I reloaded the gun and fired bullets rapidly into the roof, hoping the commander's team would hear it.

After I used all the bullets, which didn't last that long, Tom helped to push an old creaky table with cracks in it up to the door. Although it definitely wouldn't last, they would still have to break the table to get the door open. Which shouldn't be hard.

"We can't just stay here." I said ignoring the pain in my back from bending down so much.

"Yeah, I know."

Suddenly, an idea formed in my brain and I knew that Tom was thinking the same thing.

"Through there." He pointed to a board in the wall. We kicked hard on the board and it crashed to the floor.

Without hesitation, we bolted out the door only to be met by a bunch of terrorists. They looked in our direction to see what the commotion was. Before we gave them time to grab their guns we dashed to our right, zig zagging through their small alley ways. We stopped in one alley way, noticing we lost the people who began to chase us.

A few guards walked by, clearly not hearing that we had escaped yet. Once they passed, I sprinted out of the alley way. Tom was in the lead.

Suddenly, we stopped. I looked at what Tom was looking at and we met a tall barbed wire fence.

"We can't get through that." He said.

Armed men noticed us and began to run at us, guns raised. Tom ran through a doorway into a clay two story building and I quickly followed behind him. He ran up the stairs, skipping two steps at a time.

There was a stunned lady behind a desk and the clay building looked like a shop. I had no choice but to knock her out. I ran up to her and slammed her head down to the desk, knocking her out instantly. She would have told where we went if I didn't.

Armed men began to come to the doorway and noticed the lady I had knocked out. They yelled something in a different language and began to shoot at me. I ducked under the desk, barely dodging the bullets.

I had only one choice to escape: to go up the stairs Tom had. It was the only way outside.

I quickly got to my feet and sprinted up the stairs, almost crawling up them because I tripped on the steps often. The bullets had stopped, only because the men had to climb up the stairs and couldn't do it while holding a gun to eye level.

Tom was up there, waiting for me.

"Go!" I yelled and he ran across the roof, jumping onto the next roof. I followed him, the armed men in pursuit after us. Roof after roof, we came to the barbed fence but Tom didn't stop.

He jumped off of the last roof, going over the fence and landing on the grass. He made it over the fence and now was my turn.

"Tom!" I yelled at him and pointed behind him.

A man I knew too well appeared, taking in the sight. He grabbed Tom by the sleeve and pulled him farther into the woods. It was the commander.
Too shocked that I saw the commander, I didn't take notice in the armed men behind me. I turned around and one of the men came at me, in full speed.

Before I had time to act, he tackled me off the roof and I landed hard on the ground, the man on top of me. The impact knocked the breath out of me, but luckily we were on top of a single story and not a double.

Still trying to catch my breath, the man punched me in the face. I shook him off of me and threw my elbow into his jaw, knocking him down. I stole his gun which was luckily still loaded.

I ran from him, not knowing what to do since I couldn't get over the fence. There had to be an opening somewhere. Armed men started to come towards me, but I pulled out my gun and began to shoot them, never wasting a bullet. One bullet had grazed my left arm, but it still left a bloody streak. I shot that guy down, though. I continued to run, ignoring my pain and the people chasing and yelling at me.

However, I know that Tom got hurt, too. I estimated that on his hands at least two fingers were broken, and they were still severely swollen. He was also starving, starving because I refused to work.

Suddenly, I noticed a small opening in the gate, but it was blocked by several armed men. I couldn't shoot them all by myself. I noticed a nearby jeep style car. I ran to it and luckily, it was already running. It was probably abandoned. I pressed down on the pedal, flooring it. I rammed through the barricade of people, most of them had dodged out of the way. But there was still that unlucky few who didn't.

A&N
Hey guys! I hoped you liked this chapter. I'm sad to announce that the story will be ending in a few more chapters😭😭But I can guess that there will be at least two more chapters still to come. I hoped you loved this story as much as I did. Thanks!📚📚📚