Chapter Five

Media: Kashimi

Music: Torn by Nathan Lanier

*****

CHAPTER FIVE

No. Papa!

Pent up tears gushed out like a river bursting through its banks, flooding forward and obliterating everything in its path. The Kesatria knelt beside Cadence and placed a hand on her shoulder. She pressed her face against his chest, scrunching up his robes in her fists.

Cadence howled. Every emotion spurted out; each emotion like a dagger being shot through her chest.

The Kesatria held her as she cried, one gloved hand around her waist, and the other cradling the back of her head.

"You're safe now." His voice was warm, deep, reassuring. He did not move, allowing Cadence to cry until her tears ran dry.

Cadence raised her head and found the Kesatria staring at her.

"Are you hurt?"

She didn't realize she was hugging her waist. The hand she pulled away was stained in blood. With the initial shock gone, the pain started to settle in.

"A friend of mine is on his way." The Kesatria helped Cadence to her feet. "He is a Mujarab, he knows what to do."

Seeing Cadence was too shaky to even stand, the Kesatria swept her off her feet and carried her over to the side of the room that wasn't littered with shards of glass and debris.

It had been ages since Cadence was carried like a child. She stopped being a child after her father's accident.

Gently, the Kesatria set her down on the floor.

"My brother," she croaked. "He's hurt."

The Kesatria looked where Cadence pointed. He walked over to Cole's side and pressed two fingers against his neck, searching for a pulse.

"He's alive," he said. The Kesatria picked up the books and stacked them aside, clearing the space. "But an attack like that coming from a Rakasha? He should be dead."

His Varya blood must have kept him alive. A Warrior healed faster even compared to their Varya counterparts.

Cadence felt the blood drain from her face. A Mujarab could tell Cole was Varya by just touching him. They would take him away and force him into the army. She couldn't allow that, she just lost her father, and now she was going to lose her brother.

"You caused quite a disturbance at the marketplace," he said. "Luckily for you, if you hadn't torn through the streets like a whirlwind, I wouldn't have found you. If I were a few seconds later, you would have been dead."