Chapter Six

Media: Ales Sanrovo (before y'all start shipping, he's 37 and Cady is 18, so nope)

Music: After the Storm, the Witcher 3 OST

Cadence coughed hard, trying to expel the fumes from her throat

Cadence coughed hard, trying to expel the fumes from her throat. The bitter taste of ash and death was unrelenting, choking her with every breath she took.

Through swimming vision, she stumbled through the dark trees. Right ahead, a brilliant fire consumed everything; the leaves gleamed like millions of jewels before they shriveled up and crumbled into dust. People ran toward her, trying to beat the flames from their clothes.

Fear closed in like an impending sense of doom.

What is this? Where am I?

The burning trees vanished, taking the horrified shrieks of the people with them, as though someone had swiped a hand at the scene, clearing it all away.

Suddenly, she was perching on top of a cliff, overlooking a terrible battle below. In the sea of fire, a dark, pointed structure rose from the ground. She saw the banners fly before the fire ate them up—a silver raven with its wings spread across a black background, falling down into a sea of flames—the sigil of the Hall of Shadows. Arrows sang as they were released from bows drawn by powerful Oracles. Cadence scrabbled backward, her back hitting a wall, trapping her. She could do nothing but watch on.

Smoke rose where houses were set ablaze. War horses neighed and stampeded through the roads, heading toward crumbling Hall of Shadows. Blood and the sweet scent of burning flesh filled the air. Banners bearing thorns and a single apple—the sigil of the Hall of Spirits—flew high. Cadence's hands flew to her mouth and she turned to the other side, burying her head in her arms.

All around, there were the ragged cries of men and women being killed and ripped apart. A severed head dropped down in front of her.

Shezinka, her father's head said. Cady, my daughter. Look at me.

Cadence screamed and kicked the head away. It bounced down the slope and vanished into the sea of fire and ashes.

You killed our father.

Her brother's voice rang like a bell. Cadence covered her ears, eyes darting about, trying to see where Cole was.

Cole?

You're a murderer, Cadence. Her brother walked out from the burning trees. You made a deal with a Polong. Look what you've done. You have always hated Papa, hated him for trying to marry you off, hated him for killing your dreams of opening your own tailor shop. When the creature offered you a solution, you grabbed it without second thoughts. You've killed your own father, are you going to kill your brother too?