Chapter Twenty-Seven

Ales didn't approve their plan of visiting Silverbird, but since Kashimi was the one who had suggested it, her mentor decided to go with the roll

Ales didn't approve their plan of visiting Silverbird, but since Kashimi was the one who had suggested it, her mentor decided to go with the roll. However, he advised Cadence against practicing her Affinity in the Region of Spirits.

"Walker Hunter eyes everywhere," he said. "Don't do anything suspicious. Bloody hell, don't even look remotely suspicious." He then turned the topic into a lighter one by telling her to explore Mansion Khavarosk fully, as it was one of the grandest Mansions in Moskava.

Eli assured her that his mother had hired a Kesatria to guard them to Mansion Khavarosk, but after the Ishor party, they would be on their own to find Silverbird.

Cadence wandered down the Hall. The Hall of Games had been thoroughly decorated for Ishor. The Feorhs had outdone themselves—Spring flowers and vines twined across the high ceiling beams, the chandeliers polished with new, red candles inserted, and the four-pointed cross of Dewa Veruska could be seen on every corner of the Hall, made from hay and tied with twine. Red draperies replaced the usual azure curtains. Predikars bustled about, their brilliant red robes blindingly stark among the sea of black and white, barking orders at Feorhs and the other servants to get the decorations and totems to the right places.

Cadence passed a couple Predikars shouting 'Not my left, you nitwit, the other left!' on her way out of the Hall with a small bundle containing her cloak and daggers.

As Eli had promised, he stood waiting for her outside the Hall with a grand white carriage with gold-gilded wheels. The emblem of House Khavarosk was emblazoned on the doors—a sprig of thorn wrapped around an apple.

"Merri, Lady Novik." Eli greeted her with a huge smile on his face.

"Why do you have to be so formal?" Cadence groaned as the footman opened the carriage door for them. "It's embarrassing."

"We're leaving the Hall of Games," Eli said with a twinkle in his eye. "My territory, my rules, and my House regards formality and politeness to its apex."

He looked around the yard. "He's late."

"Who?" Cadence was halfway inside the carriage when the edge of her robe snagged against the door. She yanked it free.

"The Kesatria my mother hired to escort us back. It's awkward, seeing that we-"

"Sorry, I'm late." Ales half-ran out of the Hall. It took him less than five strides to reach the carriage. "Had some issues to settle, a few letters to write."

"You're escorting us?" Cadence said.

"House Sanrovo are allies with House Khavarosk. I was their House Kesatria for several years before I returned to the Hall of Games. The ever gracious lady decided to hire me again for her grandson and his little visitor."

He climbed into the carriage after Eli, then banged his head against the door in the process.

"Why couldn't they make these doors any taller?" he grumbled, massaging his head and slamming the door shut. Her mentor then put his hands behind his head, balanced a leg on top of the other, effectively taking up half of the space in the carriage.