Chapter Thirty-Eight

Something light fluttered against her cheek

"Cady," a little voice called. "Shezinka."

This must be a dream. Cole is in the Hall of Games. He doesn't even know I'm here.

The fluttering grew more intense. Cadence lifted a hand and swiped it from her cheek.

"Ouch!" her brother's voice said. It was soft, as though muted with a piece of cloth. "You almost killed me!"

"Cole?" She felt about with her hands. "Is that really you?"

"Yes, I Shifted into a moth to spy on the surroundings. Zoroth told me what happened. We're coming to rescue you."

"You can't," she said. "You are no match against hundreds of Walker Hunters."

"Hang in there," Cole said. "I'll get you out, I promise."

Her brother rested on her cheek, lingering there for a moment, trying to comfort her with his moth form. Cadence did not move. She lay on the dirty, hay strewn floor. She wasn't even sure whether this was one of Taras' mind tricks or whether it was Kazimir playing with her mind.

Cole fluttered his wings and flew away, leaving her alone in the dark.

No, please come back. Don't leave me.

The moth was gone.

Cadence scrunched up her hands, feeling the dirt seep into her already dirty fingernails. The nails had just been regrown by Ivan after Taras had yanked them out.

Brother, please.

It could be days, it could be weeks, Cadence didn't know. Taras had tried all sort of methods on her. He had cut open her hand and soaked it in salt water, broke her bones, cut her open with a scapel and made her watch him splice her fingers.

Battered and bruised, bleeding and exhausted, she clung onto the notion that her brother would come and rescue her. He would tear this place down with his bare hands and carry her home. She wanted nothing more than to go home and cook with him and watch him shovel snow from the front door. Her will was a piece of frayed string stretched taut. All it needed was a speck of dust to settle on it, and it would snap.

I can't. There is nothing else for me to live for. Papa is gone, Khazaria is dead. Who will I redeem myself to?

She cried out for help, but this time, even her inner voice was silent.

*****

"Cady."

Someone patted her cheek. "Dewas above," the person whispered. "Wake up."

Am I dead? Am I in Syurka?

Cadence opened her eyes. A torch blazed in front of her. She squinted at the person holding the torch.