Chapter Ten

Media: BEAUTIFUL ARTWORK OF ALES BY Zuko_42 

Music of the chapter: The Calling by Marcus Warner

Cadence woke up to see the sun break through the barriers of the night. Her stomach no longer hurt, but she was still lightheaded from vomiting.

She set her bare feet on the floor, running them over the rug before stepping onto the cold tiles leading up to the shower curtain. The coldness of the tiles pinched her, waking her up. Her vomit was gone. In its place was a fresh bath filled flower petals, and fluffy towels hanging on a wooden rack.

Steam rose from the surface of the water. She didn't need to test it to know it was still hot. Thanking whoever who had prepared the bath and cleaned up her mess, she quickly stripped out of her old, dirty clothes and sank into water.

She instantly wanted to melt inside it. It had been a long time she had a decent bath. The only few chances she got to use a bathtub was when her father took her up to the Region of Elements to meet the Master Treasurer. The Master Treasurer owned a large house with servants and a garden. She didn't remember much from the annual trips. It mostly comprised of her wandering idly about in the garden or sleeping. Cole never went with them due to his work schedule.

The hot bath was heavenly. Cadence sighed, feeling the rising steam caress her face and scrubbing the dirt off her skin using the mint-smelling soap provided. Feeling like a whole new person, she rose from the now dirty water and dried herself.

It was then she realized she had no clothes to wear other than her old, filthy ones.

Glancing around the room, she spotted the ornate wardrobe. Cadence couldn't wait till the Kesatria showed up and ask for clothes. What if it was a man? The thought of being caught seen in nothing but a towel burned her cheeks as she flung open the doors of the wardrobe and prayed that there were clothes inside.

Her prayers were answered. There were several folded garments in the otherwise empty wardrobe. Cadence took the topmost garment and shook it out.

The fabric was soft to the touch. It was a kubah, handsome robes worn by Kesatria. Cadence stared at it, too afraid to contemplate the consequences of wearing something reserved only for the elite of the elite. She held it in front of her, marveling at the neat seams, the embroidered hem, the painted runes, and long sleeves. There must be a belt somewhere too. Kesatria wore utility belts that enabled them to carry a small range of weapons and potions. Pockets were hidden in the folds of the kubah—a smart way of concealing weapons which could be whipped out with ease when engaged with an opponent.

Someone knocked on her door. Cadence jumped, pressing the kubah against her chest.

"Hello?"