Chapter Eight

Media: The Hall of Games

Music of the chapter: End of My Journey by John Dreamer

The first thing Cadence saw were the great mansions of the powerful Houses

The first thing Cadence saw were the great mansions of the powerful Houses. If she thought the buildings before were impeccable, the territory of the nobles lacerated her perspective.

Every mansion bore their House crests with fierce pride. Green and silver, red and black, gold and red, banners bearing different sigils and colors stroke the wind. They passed the stag of House Landowska first, followed by the thorned apple of House Khavarosk, the impaled man of House Vasiliev, the three headed eagle of House Buvian, the dragon of House Crador, and several other smaller Houses.

These were the oldest Houses in Moskava, established from the days of the Founders and had shackled the Region of Games' economy for their own benefits for centuries.

In the distance, a pair of enormous iron wrought gates, as black as night and pressed into whimsical patterns ascended from the ground. Cadence stared in awe as the carriage headed toward the gates.

"Who passes these gates?" A Kesatria from the watchtowers shouted.

"Ales Sanrovo." Cadence heard Ales shout back. "Reporting from the Region of Elements shift."

Something clinked, followed by the massive groan of shifting gears and moving metal, pushing the gates outward. Once inside, the gates swung shut behind them with a loud clang!

The carriage stopped. Kashimi opened the door and motioned for them to get out.

Cadence leaped out of the carriage, unable to bear another moment of sitting still. Her brother clambered out after her, almost losing his balance as he missed the last step of the carriage stairs.

Horses neighed. Stable boys and girls rushed about, while Kesatria exchanged conversations as they saddled their steeds. She looked up where the greatest building in the history of Moskava stood in its full glory.

Statues of every Dewa ever to walk Syurka adorned the walls, their colorful painted bodies gleaming. Winged beasts with horns, the messengers of the Dewas sat on the spires which twisted and pierced the frosty sky. The Twins—Dewa Ozanka and Dewa Saborven—held up the main door, their marble faces indifferent. Above the door, metallic filigree heralded the motto of the Hall of Games—Mata, Veta, Akta—See, Discern, Act. Everything looked so real. Cadence could almost feel the hot breath of the carved Dragon Dewa upon her and feel the water falling from the Dewa Dara's jug, drop by slow drop.

"Behold, the Hall of Games!" Kashimi announced for dramatic effects, which earned him a smoldering look from Ales as he hopped down from the driver's seat and handed the reins to a stable boy who came rushing up toward them.

"Cole," Ales said. "You follow Kashimi. He'll take you to the Kesatria Yurra. She's in charge of the Right Order."

"I'm a Mujarab," Kashimi said. "I should return to the infirmary at once, lest my service is needed. These are Kesatria matters. I wouldn't have agreed to come with you if you hadn't promised me a visit to the Region of Elements' famous winery."