.chapter fourteen.

"So the time has come?"

"The time has come," he said, his dark eyes sorrowful.

Jon Snow entered Rhaella's chambers, a bundle of brown cloth in one hand. He closed the door behind him, glancing back only to check if she was okay with it first. Then, he crossed the room, stopping at the small table where she sat.

"What is that?" She inquired, her crystal blue eyes sparkling with curiosity. Jon placed the fabric onto the table, she saw now that the fabric was only there to conceal something within. Rhaella looked up, their eyes meeting, "Is it for me?"

"Ghost and I won't always be there to protect you," he took a step back, allowing her some space while she unveiled his gift to her.

Carefully, with delicate fingers, she pulled back the fabric. Her eyes doubled in size at the sight. Jon watched as her fingers glided over the gold and silver, tears welling in her eyes reminding him of a river thawing in the summer sun. He would miss her eyes and how they always reminded him of bits and pieces of home.

"This must have cost a fortune!" She exclaimed, rising from her seat with the dagger in her hand.

"It was worth it," he admitted out loud. He had not meant for it to come out, yet he did not care that it had. It had been worth it to see her expression as she first laid eyes on so fine a weapon. Jon was certain not even the King himself had something like it.

Her face fell, "I fear such a gift has been wasted on me," she told him, looking up slowly. "I do not know how to use it."

A shaky laugh passed through his parted lips as he sprang forward, arms wrapping around her, pulling her into a warm embrace. He held her tightly in his arms, never wanting to let go. 

Jon loosened his hold on her, allowing her room to move around in his arms. She tilted her head back to look up at him, a crease forming between her brows. A smile curved his lips, "A dagger is much different than a sword," he explained, "I do not doubt your ability to know how to use it if there is ever a need to... I pray there will never be."

She lowered her gaze to the dagger pressed against her chest, "I pray to the Gods as well," she whispered while running her thumb over the tiny rubies.

"And if ever the situation occurs, you just remove this," he took the dagger into his hands and began demonstrating for her, "and with this end, you stick it anywhere you can." 

Rhaella looked up at Jon, her face expressionless, "You treat me as if I'm a child," she told him. 

His sad, brown eyes looked from the dagger in his hands to her's. He sheathed the dagger and then turned his back to her, carefully placing the dagger down onto the table, "I apologize," he said softly. "I didn't mean-"

"Jon," she placed a hand on his arm. Jon turned to look at her, a shaky breath escaped as a smile broke out on his lips, "I was only teasing-" 

She didn't get a chance to finish her sentence. Jon had turned around and pulled her into his arms against his hard chest. He bent his head down so that he could place his lips upon her's in the most passionate kiss either had yet to experience until now. 

They had been so engrossed in their passionate kiss that neither heard the door opening nor did they hear it close. It was until the newcomer cleared his throat that both broke apart, startled by the sudden intrusion. 

Robb Stark stood in front of the door, looking rather awkward and uncomfortable with his hands behind his back and Grey Wind sitting at his side. He cleared his throat again, hands coming forward as one rose up to scratch at the hair the lined his jaw, "Uncle has been looking for you," he said to Jon, "he told me to tell you if I saw you."