.chapter fifteen.

He moved from his position next to the table to a more stable one by the wall. Just above, the window had been pushed open, letting in all the noise from the courtyard.

Robb Stark should have been down there, seeing to everything in his father's stead, yet here he was with his intended in his arms, her face stained with tears and his chest damp. He rested his head back against the wall, eyes closed. His fingers combing through black silk.

She moved from one side of his chest to the other, the side where his shirt had not been dampened by tears. He listened to her ragged breathing returning, little by little, back to normal as she closed her eyes and laid there.

He felt a sense of pride, at least very little. Rhaella had fallen asleep in his arms, and although he knew it was because she was exhausted, it still meant a great deal to him that she chose to remain in his arms.

His lips pressed against the top of her head, the palm of his hand running up and down her back. He held her close to him, forever living in that moment where the woman he loved was finally in his arms.

A light knock sounded from the door. Robb lifted his head in time to see the door opening to reveal a girl no older than Arya, with long golden hair and emerald green eyes like the queen.

Myrcella Baratheon looked everything like the woman that would be taking his betrothed away from him. He didn't like her, nor did he like anyone or thing affiliated with the Lannisters. But he could recall Rhaella had been fond of the young Baratheon girl and so, he pushed aside his hostility.

"Has the time come already," he lowered his gaze and lips to Rhaella, his hold growing tighter as if it would be his last time holding her. "She's asleep, it wouldn't be right to move her."

A warm smile twisted the young girl's lips. She giggled softly and sprung forward into the room. "No," her voice was light and soft.  "I was told to inform Rhaella we leave at first light on the morrow. Mother is not feeling quite well."

A shaky breath of relief escaped Robb. He kissed the top of Rhaella's head again, laughing lightly. "Thank the Gods," her murmured quietly into her hair.

"Thank you," he said to Myrcella, glancing up at the young girl. She stood rigid, her eyes wide with fear and on his direwolf. "He won't harm you."

Myrcella looked at Robb and smiled weakly, "Please tell Rhaella when she wakes, I must go now."

She backed from the room slowly. Once out, she turned and scurried off. Robb glanced over at his direwolf who had been fast asleep, sprawled out on the wooden floor. A smile crept its way onto his lips as he realized the princess must have been like the others, afraid of the direwolves.

 A smile crept its way onto his lips as he realized the princess must have been like the others, afraid of the direwolves

When she woke, it had been cold and dark. No candle had been lit and the only source of light came from the moon just above.

Rhaella lifted her head off of something hard, yet not entirely too hard. She found, after her eyes adjusted to the darkness, that she had been laying on a man's chest.

"Robb?" She placed a hand to her throat. It felt scratchy and sounded rough.

Beside her Robb stirred, his hand coming up to wipe at his mouth. Drool, she thought, he must have been drooling. A smile teased her lips but only for a moment. Then the aching pain in her chest resurfaced and the tears welled up in her eyes.

"No, no, no!" He sat up quickly and pulled her into his arms. "You had finally stopped. You looked so peaceful."

She clung to him, sobbing hysterically into his chest. It hurt her so badly to the point she couldn't breathe. She wanted it all to stop, her tears, the pain, her heart. She didn't want to go on without him nor did she want to marry Robb.

She had thought she could do it, make the vows and lay with him, but now she knew it would be impossible. She loved Jon too much to be with another even for duty.

Robb held her tighter than before, tears of his own dampening her hair. Seeing her in so much pain was far worse than seeing her love another. Least she had been happy then, smiling, her eyes clear and dry.

"I'm sorry," he whispered against her hair. "I'm sorry I can't be him. I'd give anything to be right now."

She sobbed even harder, this time not for Jon but for Robb a man who loved her like she loved Jon, a man who would rather see her in the arms of another if it meant she was happy even if broke his own heart.

"I'm sorry too," she managed somehow, her words barely audible between her sobs.

"Shhh," he pressed his lips to the top of her head and closed his eyes. "Let this be the last time we ever apologize to one another," He lifted his head and pulled her away from his chest, forcing her to look up at him. "and let this be the last time we ever shed any tears. We need to be strong, you and I. Summer will be ending soon, and winter is coming."

_____________________

I broke down again.
It's probably why Robb ended up breaking down too.

I also can't wait for these two to be reunited!