.chapter thirty-eight.

"Does he know?" Catelyn Stark fell into step with her daughter-by-law.

It had been a dreary morning and the delay was setting their men on edge. Robb had left to attend council and instead of sitting beside her son, Catelyn had chosen this opportunity to confront her newest daughter.

"Does he know what?" Rhaella asked innocently. Catelyn noted the red gown she wore that day made her look a little more like Queen Cersei than she had the past few weeks. It was a simple reminder as to why Catelyn refused to accept Rhaella. But it was different now, she could refuse the child no more. Not whilst she realized that is all she still was given her hardship.

"When was your last bleeding?" She placed a hand to Rhaella's arm, stopping then both in the middle of the yard. It had been empty except for the men that listened only to their queen, Rhaella's men. Catelyn disliked that they were only loyal to her, but she kept her tongue about the matter.

Her blue eyes widen. Subconsciously a hand fell to her flat belly as it suddenly dawned on her. "It's been some time," she whispered, lowering her head. "Can it be certain?"

Catelyn nodded, yes it could. She had been able to take notice before the own mother to be had, "Still, we shall have the maester check and see how far long you are."

"I can't imagine that long," she was at a loss for breath, Catelyn noticed. "We've only just begun a month ago... are you sure? Perhaps I've just missed a bleeding, nothing more." Tears welled in her eyes, reminding Catelyn of sapphires sparkling in the sun.

"Do you not want to be with child?" She found herself asking.

"I'm not sure," while one hand remain on her stomach, the other touched her lips. "Me, a mother? I never truly thought about it..."

"Robb will be happy," Catelyn was curious to know Rhaella's true feelings, the ones that she kept safely hidden from all but those in her service.

"He musn't know just yet," she removed both hands from her mouth and stomach and peered at Catelyn. "He'd be foolish enough to celebrate long before the babe is born, if it will be at all. Oh, Lady Stark, I must confess I am afraid. You must know why."

Indeed she did. It had been for this reason alone why she did not approve of the betrothal between her son and this girl. While she made it no secret of her true identity, she was no longer under the protection of the Lannisters and now deemed their enemy, those around her would have to tread carefully. Robb gave her his name because he believed it to be capable alone to protect her, but Catelyn saw now he was not stopping there.

"All I can ask now is that you place your trust in my son," she finally said. "Tell him now before another takes notice of your swelling belly, it will not be long before it does."

She stared into the steel blue eyes of Catelyn Stark, her mother by law, and by far, the only mother she had now.

The only mother she ever knew wanted her dead but still Rhaella craved her counsel. She would know what to do, how to deflect enemies and rise above, but then again it was because of her Rhaella had enemies at all.

"Very well," she sighed softly, lowering her gaze so that she did not have to stare any longer into the knowing eyes of Lady Stark. "He will be informed."

"My love," Robb closed the door behind him and made his way over to where Rhaella sat near a window, sewing away in the candle light. Like Winter, she often kept away from the warmth of the fire.

"Your Grace," she wove a needle through the fabric so that it wouldn't get lost amongst the gray. "You've returned early."

"Have I?" He bent to place a kiss to the top of her head. The meeting had felt as if it had taken all day and he had not seen Rhaella since the night before. She had woke early and left before he had. "Where did you go before dawn?"

"To train," she replied, resuming her sewing once he left her side. "Alwin has thought it wiser to train before others wake since, now as your wife, I have other matters to see to. However, today will be my last day it seems."

He looked up from the goblet of wine he had poured himself, "However do you mean?"

She kept her silence, stitching tread through fabric, pulling the two pieces together. Robb fixed his gaze on the two pieces of fabric, he realized it had been too small to be a dress of her own and her silence only prompted his desire to know even more.

"Are you with child?"

She placed her sewing aside again, this time she looked up and stared at him a long while before finally nodding. "Your mother brought it to my attention and the maester confirmed it. I carry your child in me, yes."

He sank to his knees before her, his eyes brimming with tears. A smile pulled back his lips as he took her hands in his and kissed them. He then moved closer so that he could press his own lips to her belly.

She had never seen him cry before, yet she did now. Tears fell, reminding her of waterfalls. He sobbed in her lap, his arms wrapping around her as best they could. She was puzzled by his response. Where they tears of joy or sorrow? Was he not pleased?

After some time, the sobbing ceased and he rose up, drying his face. "On the morrow you're to ride for Shadow's End," he said at last, his soft blue eyes fixed on her belly.

"Why?" It had been what she wanted, but it had come at an odd time. She was with child, his child and he was sending her away.

More tears welled in his eyes, he touched her face, brushing back her hair, "I have business in the Twins," he said to her. "My uncle is to wed one of Walder Frey's daughters. I have agreed to attend but I do not wish you to come. You will go home at last where your family awaits you. I have written to them already. After this wedding... I shall return for you, and the we shall go home, to our home."

Tears of her own blurred her vision, yet she could still make out his every feature. "Why does this feel like goodbye?" She asked, placing both hands to his face.

He smiled though it failed to reach his eyes, "It is only for a short while," he said to her. "We shall be reunited once this is all said and done my love."

•a.n•

Have you seen the S7 finale? Because I just did. Like I was hoping and praying S7 would give me some kind of clue as to how I want this book to end and so far basically I just have Rhaella wanting to end it all because NOTHING went the way either of us were hoping.
Like a part of me just died watching tonight's episode and I'm positive it was Rhaella...
So if you're wondering why this story hasn't recieved any updates, it's because I'm trying to revive her.