.chapter twenty-six.

"A Targaryen," Robb sank into a chair, his thumb rubbing along his scruffy jawline as he stared at the burning candle on his desk. "I can hardly believe it, you're a Targaryen? How have you managed to get this far?"

Rhaella glanced down briefly, her lips curving up into a small smile as she played with her fingers, "Disguised as a fox, I guess."

His laughter filled the tent, putting her nerves at ease. She missed him, oddly enough, she missed Robb Stark despite wanting nothing to do with him when they had been betrothed.

Slowly she looked up to spy him staring off into nothing, his nails scratching just below his chin. She could only guess his face had been quite itchy not that hair grew on it. She had grown quite fond of it, the hair on his face. It made him look more of a man and less of the boy she met back in Winterfell.

"Have you heard from him?" The sudden change in their conversation startled her. She knew who Robb was referring to even if he hadn't said a name.

"No," she replied softly, her eyes now scanning the inside of the tent for something to talk about other than the man she had given her heart willingly to just moons ago. "Never expected I would."

Rob chortled, his gorgeous blue eyes now fixed on her, "You loved the hell out of him," he said to her. "I remember it still as if it were only yesterday. I remember the tears you wept..."

As he spoke, a tear dropped onto her lap. Rhaella quickly wiped away the remaining track, "Can we not talk of him?" She asked, "It may have been some time since then, but my heart has still not healed."

He nodded his head, Robb understood her. "How has life at King's Landing been?"

"Hell," she snorted, "no thanks to you Northerners."

"We have our reasons, Rhaella," his smile had faded. Robb was no longer joking with her but serious as a lord would be when politics were discussed.

"I know," she whispered softly. "and I am all for this rebellion, but it does complicate things. We were to be married..."

"We were."

"I may not have wanted you as a husband then, but..." her voice trailed as she averted her gaze. The wooden chair creaked as Robb sat forward, his boot tearing up the grassy terrain beneath him.

"But what?" He pushed further.

"It's nothing," she shook her head. "It doesn't matter now."

Robb sprang forward. In a flash he was in front of Rhaella with his hands gripping her arms, forcing her to look at him. "It is not nothing," he tilted her head back so that he could look into her eyes. "Tell me."

"What does it matter?" She asked him, her lower lip quivering. Tears sparkled in her eyes. "You are betrothed to another now and the Lannisters would never stand for a match between us now. We can not marry, no matter how badly I want it."

"I do not have to marry her," he said, his eyes frantically searching her's. His heart was thumping wildly in his chest. "and the Lannisters needn't ever know. In the North they call me their King, you can be my queen and together we can rule the North. And if the Lannisters ever come our way, we will destroy them."

Rhaella began laughing softly while tears streamed down her cheeks, "I thought you were a boy grown, Robb," she said softly, "It appears you are still that same boy I met back in Winterfell. You can not rule with your heart."

A growl emitted from the back of his throat. He grabbed the back of her head gently and without a single word, he pressed his lips down upon her's.

She felt surprised by her response. Her arms found their way around him, pulling her closer to his chest and into the warmth that radiated from his body. Instead of pulling away, she kissed him back, their lips moving to the rhythm of their beating hearts.

"Marry me," he murmured against her lips, "it is all I will ever ask of you."

They now sat beside once another on the small cot that had been Robb's bed. She nestled comfortably into his arms, her head resting in the crook of his neck.

"I wish I could," she said quietly, her eyes fixed on the silver direwolf sleeping soundly by the table. Guilt ate away at her.

"Please, I am begging you."

"Robb," she lifted her head off his shoulder and looked up into his eyes.

"Rhaella," he pressed the palm of his hand to the side of her face. "I have and will always love you."

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Rhaella placed her hand over his. Slowly, she turned her head to press her lips to the palm of his hand. "If only things were different."

"Rhaella," his voice was pleading. She opened her eyes to peer into his.

"Okay," she finally whispered. "I will marry you."

He began to laugh despite the look of skepticism on his face, "Are you serious?"

Rhaella nodded her head, "I am," she told him.

Robb stood up, pulling her with him. He pulled her into his arms, lifted her off the ground and spun her around. "Thank the Gods!" He cried out.

She smiled softly when he placed her back down on her feet. "A fortnight from now," she told him. "That is when we will wed."

•●•

I changed this completely. Like woah... waaaat?