.chapter thirty-nine.

Robb found his wife standing by the window, peering out of it. He went to her, wrapping his arms around her, pulling her close to him. She responded to his touch, pulling his arms tighter around her and leaning into his embrace.

"What troubles you, my love," he murmured against her hair.

Rhaella closed her eyes, shutting out the full moon she'd been staring up at. She said nothing as she loosened his hold on her, moving his hand so that it rested on her flat belly.

He kissed her ear, "My child grows within you," she could hear the smile in his voice. He was happier, she noticed.

"I carry your child and yet you send me away," she opened her eyes and turned around to face him. "Please don't send me away."

"You don't want to leave me now?" Even though he smiled down at her, she could see the sadness in his eyes.

Robb ran the back of his hand along her face, he was remembering every detail. His fingers tangled in her hair as the palm of his hand finally rested along the side of her neck. He pulled her closer and lowered his head. Their lips met in a tender kiss.

She found herself loving his kisses. There had been many different kinds. He had sweet, simple pecks for when he was in bit of a hurry but still wanted to show affection, then there was the lengthy ones, ones that sang out his victory. Yes, she was his at last. How long did Robb have to fight with the woman he loved until she finally loved him back?

"And now you're sending me away!" She broke the kiss, a fire ablaze in her crystal blue eyes.

Robb sighed deeply, pulling away from her to go stir the dying fire. "I thought you would be pleased."

"And I thought you were to come with me." She went over to him, her hand on his shoulder, forcing him to turn back to her. "Why can't I come with you to this wedding?"

"Because," he lifted his head to look at her, "I don't even want to go but I have to. I've promised you already that I will come for you when it is over."

"Will you?" She didn't mean to ask it, it had just slipped out. But it was his expression that answered her.

She felt her heart sink at the sight. Robb barely smiled, his blue eyes dulled and looked elsewhere while he just stood there. And then he looked at her.

"Robb," she placed a hand to his shoulder again, "Don't go."

"I have to go, Rhaella."

"Please," she found herself whispering. Tears stung her eyes. "I'm begging you to come with me. Robb, I've had nightmares... they're all the same... I know what they mean now. Don't go."

He turned away, his elbow resting on the hearth. Robb stared into the embers, scratching along his jaw with his thumb. "Protect our child," he finally said. "That is all I can ever ask of you."

"How can I protect an unborn child when I can't even protect myself? Robb, we need you! Come with us, please?"

He looked at her from the corner of his eyes, "Let's go to bed, my love."

"No," she crossed her arms over her chest and chewed at her thumb. "Robb, please. Why are you doing this? You have me and now I'm begging you to come with me and you'd much rather die?"

This time he moved away from the hearth. Robb placed his hands on both sides of her face and pressed his forehead to hers, "Have you ever believed me to die so easily? I'm the Young Wolf, they say I can't be killed."

Robb had forced a smile on his face as he wiped away the tears falling down her face. He was never meant to be hers it seemed. Whenever he finally had her fate intervened.

"Wolves can be killed," she replied bitterly. "Don't be stupid, Robb."

He sighed, pulling her into his arms and onto his lap as he sat down in one of the chairs next to the fire.

"You're still here," he whispered into her ear. He nuzzled her neck, trying to lighten the mood. "How many times has the lion tried to kill you? And don't say you are not a wolf because you are as much a wolf as I, and you know it."

"Lions can not kill dragons," she replied, resting her head on his shoulder while she hugged her waist. "They can kill wolves, even send men to do it for them, but not a dragon."

She could feel his lips twitching at the top of her head, "Dragons have weak spots too," he said, stroking her hair. "But if I am wrong, this baby inside you," he placed a hand to her stomach, slipping it under her own arms. "Protect it with your life."

Rhaella tilted her head so that she could look at him, "I would much rather you come with me. I don't want to raise a child alone. The wedding is for your uncle, send someone else in your place. Please?"

Robb bit his tongue. He would say no more on the subject, his mind was already made. He turned his head, somewhere amongst the scattered papers on his desk sat a raven scroll that had come from Shadow's End. Had she not told him just a night ago that she carried his child, this would not be happening.

He ran his fingers through her hair once more and sat there in silence.  It took some time, but eventually she had worn herself out from crying and fell asleep. Robb removed her gown and placed her on their bed.

While she slept, he returned to the desk and picked up the scroll, reading it over and over until his eyes could bare the tiny black scrawl no more.

Robb sank back down in the chair by the hearth. Outside the window the sky was turning a faint red and the birds were singing. He turned his head to watch his sleeping wife. She looked so peaceful laying their in the bed they shared.

Beside him something stirred, pulling his attention away. The white direwolf that allied herself with his wife had risen to her feet and walked toward him. It had been the first time since meeting the direwolf that this sort of interaction between them occurred.

Winter placed her head in Robb's lap, a soft whimper coming from her. Her blue eyes were sad, almost as if she too was pleading with him not to go. He had to, terrible things would happen if he did not.

He scratched between a velvety white ear, "Look after them for me," he spoke softly. "Gods know you're better at that than I am."

•a.n•

Apologizes for being m.i.a but there was this hurricane and she decided to hit the entire state and then left me without power for a week...

So yeah, I took bit of a stressful/relaxing break.

I ventured North, saw some beautiful scenery; camped out in a car; saw all the doggos...

Yeah, stressful and relaxing all in one.

I'm back now... for now. There is another one out there and said to possible come our way too 🙃

This chapter was also written August 29th, 2017.
I think I've given up on this story. Perhaps I may try to venture North again on a vacation so I can actually relax in one of the state parks and seek put inspiration.