Chapter 18- Memories: The Missing Puzzle Pieces

chapter 18- Memories: The Missing Puzzle Pieces

Flashbacks

~8~ signifies a break/ change of scene or point of view

The youngest Gilbert could barely feel the pain that came with his fall to the ground, he didn't feel the way the uneven earth and rocks cut into his legs and knees as he crawled towards his sister's motionless form. It felt like he was on auto pilot as he tugged and pulled on the binds that tied her to the chair but it was useless; they clearly weren't coming undone. However, just as Jeremy was about to turn to the rest of the search party to ask for help something on the floor just a slightly out of reach caught his attention. He felt bile rise up at the sight of the bloody soaked knife, it didn't take a genius to figure out who's blood it was, but that didn't stop the boy from reaching out a trembling hand to take hold of the offending piece of metal to cut the restraints on the oldest Gilberts arms and pull her down to his level and into his arms.

It was a heart wrenching sight, to see such a young boy cry his eyes out as he cradled his sister's dead body. His sobs would haunt those who witnessed the scene for the rest of their lives. The onlookers all felt disappointed and extreme sadness at the fact that they were clearly too late to save the woman who, within such a short amount of time of knowing her, had such a dramatic impact on their lives. Jeremy stared down at the now lifeless blue eyes that used to sparkle like ocean and were once filled with mischief and warmth but now there was nothing, they were cold and empty. He shuddered before bringing a shaky hand up to her face, it trembled as his fingers barely touched her eyelids and closed them, giving the illusion that the brunette was simply sleeping despite her appearance.

Jeremy's arm dropped as though it was made of led before he once again wrapped it around his sister and buried his face in her hair, his tears soaking her brunette locks.

The golden blond male of the group finally managed to gain control of his limbs and approached the broken human boy with extreme caution; treating him like a wounded animal.

"Jeremy? You have to let her go" He spoke so soft, that the words were practically carried away with the small breeze as quickly as they were heard.

"No! Stay Back! Stay away from us!" He brokenly bellowed with so much venom that all those in the small enclosed space flinched. The boy tried to move away from Nate's approaching form but all he managed to accomplish was shuffling backward a few centimetres, still clinging onto Roxanne's limp body like it was his last lifeline.

Tears blinded his vision which resulted in the youngest Gilbert suddenly tense up when he felt a hand rest on one of the arms that were wrapped tightly around his sister. The golden-haired witch held up his hands as a form of surrender and didn't move any closer, instead he gradually crouched down on the spot, he made sure his movement was not too hurried as to startle the boy.

"You can't take her from me" He managed to whimper out in between his sobs.

"Nobody wants to take her from you. We just want to get her somewhere safe" Nate continued to try to sooth the boy with his words, knowing from personal experience how grief can make someone act.

Jeremy started to nod, almost as though he was in a daze "Safe. Yeah. I've got to keep her safe. Got to make sure she's safe"

The Mikaelson's would forever deny that the delirious, heartbroken, ramblings of Jeremy Gilbert had managed to bring a powerful family such as themselves to tears; but their denial would never change the simple fact, that each and every one of them shed multiple tears from their spot just outside the barrier. Sage and Finn remained wrapped in each-others embrace however, instead of it being a lovers' embrace like the one they shared in the Grill, the two were comforting one another as they silently cried and mourned the death of the woman who had ensured their reunion.