Chapter 3 - Pay Back

I stood outside Professor McGonagall's classroom tapping my foot impatiently, with my ear pressed up against the door, listening to her every word.

"You are Head Boy, Mr Potter, you must be more responsible than this," her stern voice reprimanded Potter and I nodded furiously even though no one could see me.

"But technically Professor, we didn't break any rules," Potter replied and I could hear the grin in his voice. "Moony'll explain it to you."

I heard a sigh and another voice started talking. "Technically, Professor, offering first years a bottle of everlasting bubble bath and pointing them in the direction of the fourth floor doesn't break any rules, and neither does cajoling Peeves into messing with the Slytherin common room."

"And the beds, Mr Lupin?" she sounded like she already knew the answer.

"The students are to stay in bed after lights out so technically the beds of all Gryffindor students flying through the corridors isn't breaking any rules."

Professor McGonagall let out a tired sigh, "Since I have too much work to do in cleaning up the mess the three of you have made, I have asked someone else to decide your punishments."

"Oh, you don't have to, Micky G," I could imagine Black leaning back on two legs of his chair with arms behind his back and feet up on her desk.

How dare he be so rude and arrogant!

I could hear Professor McGonagall rising from her chair and walking towards the door. I took a step back and stood straight, not bothering to wipe the furious expression off my face.

The door opened and she smiled as she saw me with a bag in my hand standing before her. "Ah, Miss Evans, right on time."

I nodded back at her, raised an eyebrow at Remus, and glared at the other three.

Potter spun around, Black dropped his chair back to four legs, Peter looked over from where he was leaning against the wall, and Remus offered me a half smile.

"Evans! Are you my punishment?" Potter grinned, thrusting his hand through his hair.

"Yes, Mr Potter. As Head Girl, Miss Evans has offered to decide your punishments for you," Professor McGonagall smiled and went back to her desk. "I hope you will think twice before pulling your pranks again."

"Professor, might I ask why they are being punished, if they didn't break any rules?" Remus asked, half-heartedly.

"Because, Mr Lupin, Mr Filch now has to clean the bubbles out of the carpets of the entire fourth floor, return the beds from where they are currently placed in the Great Hall to spell 'Marry me, Evans' to the Gryffindor dormitories, and I have to find a way to stop the Great Lake from leaking into the Slytherin common room. It doesn't matter whether they themselves did it or not because I still have to clean up their mess," she sighed again. "They are being punished because no one else runs around asking Miss Evans to marry them, and they were seen rolling around laughing outside the dungeons."

"Come on, Micky G," Black grinned lazily at Professor McGonagall. "We were just having a good old laugh with the Slytherins."

She levelled a stern look at him over the rim of her glasses. "You told me when I first called you in here that you had nothing to do with any of the pranks. Were you lying to me, Mr Black?"

He brushed his fingers through his hair. "That depends on how you define lying."

"I define it as not telling the truth, Mr Black. Are you telling me you define it differently?" she raised her pencil-thin eyebrows.