Reckless Life

Pulling up in the darkness of Donners empty driveway, turning the engine off. I lean over to grab my handbag, not confident I check out the side & back window.

As my eyes adjust to the minimal lighting expecting to find Ben's silhouette outside. It is then on the drivers window a bang makes me let out a small squeal & stop my breathing.

I turn in shock to see Donners Labrador with his paws against the window, greeting me with a big smile & tongue hanging out.

I sigh in relief & smile at the beautiful boy. Stepping out the car.

'Hey boy'. I coo, kneeling down giving him a hug & pat.

Fast walking up to the door, feeling safer with my furry guard next to me.

Banging my ivory knuckles on the splintery door. Even though i am close to Donner, I haven't seen him in a while being my reclusive self.

I am not one to just barge in & make myself at home at anyone's house.

'Come on in!' Donner yells from inside.

I push on the door, which is left unlocked. Good one Donner! I shake my head.

Turning on my heels, to lock all the locks which Donner obviously doesn't use. A sense of relief lifts off my shoulders once it is locked securely.

I hear Donners voice, realizing he is on the phone. Not wanting to be rude & eavesdrop, I pad upstairs to his bathroom to try & make myself more presentable.

Turning on the beacon to his outdated pink bathroom, I toss my makeup bag into the sink.

'Disgusting'. My voice spills to myself. Disgusted as i stare back at my reflection.

Reapplying my ivory powder to cover the old & newly forming bruises.

Now seeing he has also left me with a cut under my eye. Before fixing up my now racoon eyes. I fix my hair so it covers the marks.

Hoping Don doesn't suspect anything.

Once I think I look half decent again, I quietly pad downstairs. Not meaning to eavesdrop, I catch the end of Donners conversation.

'No absolutely man, just stay put!'. He ends the call. An unusual smile plastered on his face?.

'Hey!' 'About time you come n visit me' he teases enveloping me in a hug. His features turn concerned after a moment.

'Are you alright?, you sounded scared on the phone?' Don asks holding my arms.

'Yeah fine' I force.

'Why.. do I look that shitty?' I laugh it off.

'You look like hell!... has something happened?' Questioning me like a father.

'Oh thanks for that!' I roll my eyes, throwing my handbag on the floor & sinking myself into his couch.

'Nothing, just had a real shitty day of work'. I sigh my eyes closing on their own.

'Ah... the busy life of bartending' he enthuses from the kitchen. Making me a drink, like the gentleman he is.

'Hah yeah' i rub my head, remembering he doesn't know what I really do.

'That's sucks... sooo'

'I guess you wouldn't be up to taking a road trip then?'. His voice laced with weirdness.

I lean up on my arms & peek over the back of the couch, returning his question with wtf written over my facial features.

'What?... like now!'. I spill out.

'Yeah.. right now!' Donner laughs shaking his head.

'Wh..where the fuck would I go on a trip this time of night?' I demand, praying he is not serious. All I want is to sleep!.

'Just to Oregon...' he mumbles. Passing me a Jack & sitting next to me.

'May I ask why?' I chuckle, taking in as much Jack as my mouth will allow.

'Do you always have to ask so many questions'. He jokes with an eye roll.

'Well yeah... if I'm driving 5hrs to someplace this late at night!' I reply matter of factly.

'Ugh, well fine. I just got off the phone to my brother & he needs a lift from Oregon'.

'I know you've had a hard day, but I don't have a car'. Don puts on the puppy eyes.

'Yes, ok.. ok!' 'You win'. I surrender my hands, after downing the last of my drink.

'Ah thanks doll, you're an angel!'. He pats my knee. Making our way out.

'But where am I supposed to pick him up from?'. I turn to him.

'He said a drugged out truck driver dropped him off at the front of the only seven eleven there'.

'Hitch hiking is creepy!' I mumble.

Don laughs as he accidentally knocked my handbag on the floor. My breath hitches as my large wad of cash spills out.

Afraid of the fact that he may catch onto the fact that bar tending doesn't pay that well.

'Woah.. I'm doing the wrong job!'
'I need to push up my boobs & serve drinks!'. He laughs passing me my bag. Glad he is to tipsy to not notice my attire in there.

'Oh yeah.. you would suit the job' I playfully nudge, as he basically pushes me out the door.

'Here's some gas money, see ya later'. He smiles & shuts the door on me.

'What the fuck?' I mumble to myself.

Donner is weird anyway... but never that excessive. I think to myself.

I suppose it will be good for me to get out of town for a while though...
Escape all the bullshit for at least five hours.

*Meanwhile in Oregon*

'How did ya go!?' The fiery red head asks. Leaning against the outside of the phone booth.

Along with all the guys sitting exhausted on the concrete sidewalk, sharing our last ration of marlboro's.

'Great, my friend Donner is on his way now'. I respond putting out my cig with my boot, joining the guys.

'Its just the waiting now'. I mumble tightly wrapping my leather kimono jacket around my frame.

'That's alright, at least he is on his way'. Izzy replies maturely.

'How long do we have to wait for?' Steven chirps, trying to sleep on Slash. Who in return keeps nudging him off.

'About... 4 or so hours with Donners driving?' I reply.

'I..I'm gonna starve, we don't even have any change now for a burger!' Steven looks like a kid whose had his candy taken away.

'You ate onions & carrots we stole in Bakersfield!' Axl rolls his tired eyes amused.

'How can I live on that!'. Steven mumbles, wrapping his arms around his frame as thunder is starting to roll in.

'You are gonna have to cure you're munchies, when we arrive in Seattle'.
I chuckle, running my fingers through my bleached blonde tendrils.

With the air suddenly turning rotten. I glance at Slash grinning under his mob of hair. Steven leans up from him quickly & dry reachin.

'Fuck man!' We all say in sync, getting up.

'What do you expect when I have to eat onions'. Slash responds innocently.