Chapter One

Imani

"Don't touch me" I cried, feeling Mateo's strong arms wrap around my waist.

"Imani, I'm sorry" he pleaded as shrugged him away from me.

I ignored his pleads while I packed my third suitcase, dumping my folded clothes angrily into the bottom of the the large bag. Tears cascaded down my cheeks, my chest tightened unforgivingly when I struggled to contain the sobs that wanted to so badly rip from my throat.

"You can't leave me, baby I love you" he said, forcefully turning me around so I could face him.

I shook my head not believing a word that came out of his mouth, it was like everything that came out of his mouth just went into one ear and out the other. I couldn't handle our toxic relationship anymore, and no matter how much I tried I knew it wouldn't last long.

Mateo and I have been dating for the past three years now, we met back in senior year in high school, we graduated together and went to the same college. We'd been close ever since but now it seemed different. He would come home late claiming it was work keeping him up late when really he was at the bar with friends getting drunk.

I didn't mind at first, I blew it off as just a phase you could say but then it got more and more frequent and he got more and more violent. It started off as small things like, shouting and throwing things but then it became physical. He'd start to grab onto me tightly, he'd push and shove sometimes Mateo would pull at me in a rough manner.

Alarm bells were ringing in my mind at this moment and yet I ignored them. That was until he hit me and enough was enough, I wasn't going to take this abuse any longer so I decided to leave.

"Love me?" I croaked.

"You don't love me anymore Mateo, you're too drunk to even acknowledge me at times let alone love me, you h-hit me and shout and you-" I pursed my lips to prevent tears from falling.

"I'm sorry, p-please you can't leave me, I can't live without you baby" he cried dropping too his knees.

His eyes were bloodshot and there were heavy bags underneath his eyes, which told me that he barely got any sleep but I couldn't care less at this moment. His strong arms wrapped tightly around my hips while he cried into my exposed stomach.

I wiped away my tears before zipping my bag shut, there were no more clothes left to pack so I decided it was time. Time for my departure.

I pulled at my first suitcase which landed on the ground with a loud thump. I managed to get out of Mateo's tight grip and make my way towards the door to go downstairs. Reaching the bottom steps I open the front door and walk out to go to my black Peugeot SUV. Unlocking the boot I lift up my suitcase to put it inside the car.

I continued the process until I got my final things like my duffel bag and a few other bags.

"Imani" Mateo said.

I stopped mid step in front of the door.

"If you take one fucking step out that door, I'll drag you in here myself, you are not going to leave me do you understand-" I cut him off.

"Goodbye Mateo" I said walking out the door, slamming it behind me.