Chapter Five

Imani

My eyes slowly widened when I looked up and stared into his cold blue ones, his eyes bored into my own with such an intensity it blew me away and rendered me speechless. I struggled to make out words as I continued to stare into his eyes, and that's when I felt it, it was like a surge of electricity sparked in me. An invisible force formed some sort of a pull, an attraction and I couldn't help but willingly give into it.

Distracted by this pull I never noticed his eyes change colour or the deep growl that slowly erupted from his throat. My eyes hazed over and I felt a tiredness wash over my body. Stumbling slightly I felt his hands on my sides steadying me. There was a tingling sensation in the spot that he touched which snapped me out of my daze.

"S-sorry" I stuttered, feeling an overwhelming amount of nervousness.

He didn't reply instead he continued to stare down at me, tilting his head slightly while he analyzed me. I squirmed under his gaze. Reluctantly I stepped out of his grip, but I didn't get as far as I thought I would because as soon as I was far from his touch, he took a step forward.

"Mr. Maddox, my names I-Imani, I heard that you're the local mechanic in town and I was just wondering if you could help me with my car.." I trailed off when I felt his hand under my chin, lifting it up so I could look up at him.

"Imani" he said intrigued.

I shivered when my name rolled off his tongue.

"Yes, it's Imani" I said trying my best to not get affected by his looks.

"S-so can you do it?" I asked.

I watched as he reluctantly stepped away before nodding his head. Letting out a sigh of relief, I too reluctantly took a step back. I felt this strange urge to take a step closer to him, to reach out and touch him the way he touched me oh so gently. The tingling sensation under my chin was still alive and it continued to caress at my emotions relentlessly.

Biting my lower lip anxiously, I decided it was best to leave before I did something regrettable.

"I should go, it's getting late" I said softly, looking away from him,"tomorrow, maybe we can discuss prices. If you're wondering my car is by the sign-the welcome sign"

He was so silent that it made me wonder if he was still there.  Taking in a deep breath I looked up at him and stared into his eyes for the last time before slowly turning away.

I was only halfway across the large open space when I stopped and turned.

"T-Thank you, Mr.Maddox"

"It's very dangerous to be walking around at this time Miss.Kent" I heard a voice say as I broke out of the dark woods.

I didn't realise how dark it had gotten until I was out of the woods.

"Oh,uhm hey Ajax" I greeted him.

"What were you doing in those woods, it's extremely dangerous in there" he taunted.

"It mustn't be so dangerous if you're brother is living in there" I blurted out.

I expected a quick witted response but I was met with silence and an eerily looking grin.

"I think you should go to the B&B Miss.Kent, before you catch a cold or get hurt" I frowned at his response, it was like there was an underlining message behind his tone of voice.

"I'll take that into consideration" I said guarded.

"Good night Miss.Kent" he said before turning around and walking in the other direction.

I watched as he continued down the street until I could no longer see him.

"Good night Ajax" I whispered.

The walk to the B&B was quiet, I didn't catch a person or an animal wander around in sight. It was like the place was deserted and I was the only one here.

When I arrived back at Linda and Korina's place, the house was empty. Walking into the kitchen, my eyes landed on a piece of paper on the counter. Picking it up I read it.

I'm leaving this note for you Imani in case my mom and I aren't back. I had to take my mom out to get her her medication. We won't be back for a while, so be free to take whatever you like from the fridge.
- Korina

Gently placing the note back on the table, I stood up straight before I took a deep breath.

I didn't feel comfortable raiding their fridge so I decided it was best to go to bed. I wanted a quick and early start tomorrow.

The quicker I get the car fixed the better

Climbing up the stairs I noticed my bag in front of a door, taking this as a sign that this would be my room, I lifted up my bag and entered the room.

It was medium sized, much larger then what I had expected. Setting down my things, I quickly opened up one of my bags and changed into my pjs. Looking around the room, I took a seat on the bed before turning to stare at the window. Seeing something bright shine through, I slowly got up and approached the window.The large windows overlooked the back of the house which was covered by a vast amount of forestry.

Moving towards the window I sat down on the windowsill before I stared out into the dark sky. The stars were beginning to shine brightly and the moon glowed with such intensity. I had never seen such a bright hue surround the moon before, it was almost blinding. The more I stared at the large bright sphere, the sleepier I felt. It was like I was being put into a trance, a trance that I couldn't escape, that I didn't want to escape.

I lifted my hand up slowly and pressed it against the cold glass. I didn't know if it was real or if it was just my imagination but I could feel and I could hear the moon pulsing against my fingertips. There was a rhythmic flow to it and this flow seemed to pull me deeper and deeper into a trancelike state.

My eyes grew heavy and I found myself reluctantly pulling away from the window before taking a few steps back. Turning away from the window, the bright hue that once filled up my room began to dull around me just as I entered into bed. Closing my eyes I let sleep takeover me.