Chapter Four

Imani

Quickly but carefully speed walking to my car, I unlocked it before opening the boot. Placing the container of petrol in the boot, I removed my duffel bag that contained a minimum amount of clothes and necessities.

Just as I was about to close the boot, I paused.

Maybe I should just go now. I can just stop at a motel or something and-

No

Shaking my head, I decided it was best to just find a parking space. I couldn't be parked in the middle of the road.

Closing the boot, I went around to get into the drivers seat. Starting the engine I was met with the sound of a very odd rumbling. The rumbling became louder and rougher, and the car refused to start.

"You've got to be kidding me!" I slammed my hand down on the steering wheel.

Turning off the engine I got out of the car, before taking a step back.

"What's wrong now?!" I exclaimed.

The annoyed look on my face slowly shifted to worry when I noticed something underneath my car.

Bending down, I noticed wires protruding from under my car. The wires were cut and sparking.

"Just great.." I sighed.

They'd tampered with my damn car.

Grabbing my duffel bag I slammed the door before locking my car once again. I turned around and began to make my way back to the B&B, but I immediately stopped in my tracks once I turned the corner.

Talking to Linda and Korina were the two men that had followed me here. Hiding behind a bush, I watched as they began to interrogate the two.

"Sorry for disturbing you ladies, but have you seen a woman by the name of Imani Kent pass through town?" The blonde one asked.

"She's about this height" he gestured with his hand before continuing," she has curly black hair, dark skin and she's wearing a black denim jacket, white tank top, jeans and black boots"

My heart immediately sunk in my chest. If they said I was here I'd be in serious trouble.

My eyes landed on Korina who was staring at me over the blonde man's shoulder. I shook my head, hoping she'd understand that I didn't want them knowing I was here.

Understanding my message she blinked before slowly lowering her head in a yes motion.

"I'm afraid we haven't seen this lady that you're talking about. Should we be worried?" Linda lied.

"No you don't need to be worried at all. Thank you for your Co-operation" the dark haired one said.

"If you do see her please call this number" the blonde handed Linda a card, before he turned around and entered the car, followed by the other man.

Once they drove off far enough I emerged from the bushes and quickly made my way towards Linda and Korina.

"Thank you for telling them that you hadn't seen me" I said gratefully.

"You're welcome dear, but I think you've got explaining to do" Linda said before wheeling herself into the house.

"So these men are after you because of your ex?" Korina said.

"Yes, Mateo wants me back but I refuse to go back to him. I can't go back to that kind of relationship anymore" I sighed.

"We understand, you can stay here as long as you like and we'll try our best to get them off your back" Korina said before placing a comforting hand on my shoulder.