Chapter Twelve

Trigger

Imani

I walked down the spiralling steps to the smell of eggs and bacon being prepared. As I journeyed towards the kitchen my eyes continued to take in the interior of the house.

The familiar self portraits that lingered on the walls seemed to tell stories as old as time. My eyes were trained solely on the portrait of a man that had to be Kieran because of the stark resemblance.

Pulling my eyes away, I picked up my pace not wanting to waste anymore of Kieran's time. I had taken long enough in the shower where I wallowed in my self pity.

Readjusting the large shirt that I wore, I made my presence known by greeting him.

"Good morning Kieran.." my voice was gentle and the low volume had been amplified by the silence in the kitchen.

He craned his neck to get a look at me. A warm smile on his face that made my heart beat furiously in my chest.

"Good morning Imani"

I took a seat at the island, watching as he served a plate of breakfast for the both of us. Thanking him, we both began to eat quietly, basking in the silence of the kitchen.

Taking my last bite, I looked up to see that he had already finished and that he was looking at me intently. My cheeks heated up at the intensity of his stare, his blue eyes resembling crystals that glistened under the warm sun.

"Thank you once again Kieran" I said.

"Anytime" was his response. Curt and simple.

I took in a breath as I picked up both his and my plate. Walking towards the sink, I began to wash the plates. I heard the sound of him standing from his seat and soon I could feel the heat of his body radiate against my back.

Each plate I washed, he took from my hand and began to dry them. This process went on until I had finished and soon we were left by the sink with him pressed against me.

I felt my breath hitch in my throat when he lowered his head into my neck, his lips brushing against the top of my ear before lowering to the skin of my neck.

I flinched back instinctively, pressing my back into his front so that we were almost touching. His hands rested on the counter top, trapping me in.

His woodsy scent was intoxicating. Everything about him was drawing me in and pulling me into an unending trance. I found myself leaning into his warmth subconsciously, it was like my body was calling out for him and my mind seemed to go along with it wholeheartedly.

I was drowning in his presence and I didn't know if I would be able to pull out of it. I didn't want to and that was the problem. I wanted to stay like this forever, and I didn't understand why.

Why was I feeling this, why was I so content with him being so close to me?

I could practically feel him breathing down my neck and somehow I wanted more.

"I'm sorry for last night.." I managed to say despite my mind being in a jumble.

He leaned back by just a fraction but even that action had my heart constricting with an emote I hadn't felt before. I wanted him closer to me and it hurt when he was far away.

Why was this happening?

"It's alright Imani" he started. "When you're ready to talk about it you can"

I took a deep breath, finding the courage to turn to face him. When I turned around, we were almost chest to chest.

I looked up to meet his stare, my eyes momentarily wandering down his face to fall on his lips which had been pulled into a firm line.