Chapter Eight

Imani

My day with Kieran was...

Nice

At the beginning it was quite awkward but gradually I began to settle in and become comfortable. Though he was tense and almost stone like, he grew more relaxed as the hours passed and the bright sky turned dark. I was supposed to stay for lunch but I managed to stay for dinner and I was close to staying for desert, but I felt like I had pushing my limits.

He wanted to walk me to Linda's, but I told him I would be fine on my own. However he insisted and as a result we compromised. He walked me out of the long dark driveway and we said our goodbyes once we had broken out from the thick woods.

The image was still fresh in my mind, his arm raised up to wave me with a look of sadness apparent in his eyes.

Letting out a sigh I moved closer to the window, opening it to allow the cold air inside. My room felt hot and stuffy after being away for so long, especially in my the heat.

I stared out at the large full moon that seemed to pour into the bedroom so eagerly. I found it quite relaxing to gaze up at the large sphere with both wonder and longing. It had become a habit, whether good or bad, I did not know. Each night I wasn't able to recall how I managed to get back to my bed, especially when Korina and Linda weren't here. Tonight I had made it my mission to stay awake for as long as I could.

Maybe I had developed the habit of sleep walking.

Shaking the thought from my mind, I rested my head against the windowsill as I gazed up at bright light that seemed to grow brighter at every growing second. My eyes felt heavy and my body appeared light as I slouched against the windowsill. A low whimper almost resembling a sigh of relief passed my lips as everything white before my eyes gradually became black.

He was here again.

It was a bad habit, an addiction an unhealthy obsession. The inner beast in him wanted to claim her, take her and make her his. Such a beautiful, innocent soul that shouldn't be involved with his own.  He didn't deserve her, she deserved better, greater, something he was not.

He had entered her room, watched her as she fell asleep against the windowsill so peacefully. Taking her up in his arms, he couldn't help but chuckle as her body immediately reacted to his touch. She let out a sigh as she curled into his chest, gripping on tightly to his shirt while she shifted slower to him in search of warmth.

He laid beside her and he watched her sleep.

A bad habit yet a good one to stop the beast from surfacing.

It would suffice for now.

His grip tightened around her waist as she let out a quiet whimper. Her eyes brows knitted in worry and the noises of fright slipped past her lips. She clutched on to his shirt, drawing him even closer to her as tears trickled down her cheeks.

"S-stop it" she whimpered.

His expression was pained. He wanted to help her, he wanted to make the nightmares stop but he knew if he did she wouldn't be happy. Her nightmares were more frequent but she only ever mumbled a few words at a time.

"I-I'm sorry, please don't hurt me" she flinched. " Mateo..." she sniffled.

A name.

His body tensed and his chest rumbled with a deep growl as his lips curled back with a snarl. His eyes glowed a bright luminous yellow, before dimming once she had relaxed against him. She calmed him, even in her sleep. His hands rested on her back, gently caressing her until her breathing mellowed down.