18: Goodbye kisses

♥^

Iris

I set down my bag next to Scott's at the door, he saw me and smiled. I wasn't used to seeing him in his suit anymore so the sight of him in his pristine black suit with white shirt and dark red tie amazed me for a moment. With or without the suit he was gorgeous.

I felt the knot in my stomach constrict and my hands becoming clammy.

This was it, this was the moment in which we bid our goodbyes and the moment thereafter where I wouldn't see him ever again.

He handed me a cup of coffee and sat down beside me.

" I called you a cab, it will be here after my town car comes to take me to the airport." He took a sip of his coffee and looked at me over the rim of his coffee.

"Thank you, thank you for doing what you did for me." He searched his suit jacket for something and then found a vanilla envelope.

"Here." He handed me the envelope, I slowly opened it not sure what I was expecting. I saw it was a cheque, my eyes drifted over the cheque and saw that it was an insane amount of money. It was more than we agreed on in the beginning.

"Scott... this is too much, we agreed that for two weeks you make all my fantasies come true in return paying me for my house sitting services, that I didn't really do well but this is a lot for house sitting."

"I know you need the money, certainly more than I do. Consider it a thank you for making me realize a few things that I have to change. You remembered to feed the fish; I consider it a job well done." I folded the cheque back up and placed it in the envelope again. I stuffed it in my pocket, I was in no way going to decline the extra money, it was the only money I had now.

"Thank you."

He placed his cup on the table and looked at me as I sipped on the coffee.

"You know you shouldn't really thank me for that much, it was a mutual exchange."

I heard the car pull up and instantly my stomach dropped.

He lazily stood up but then stopped for a moment in front of the door. I also stood up, he grabbed me by the waist and pulled me closer to him, placing a soft and subtle kiss on my lips. The caressing of his lips on mine made my heart skip a beat.

"I love you, Iris, I really do." He whispered as he pulled back. He held onto me, I rested my head on his chest.

"I love you, but I know you can't stay and neither can't I." The honking of the horn outside made us snap back to reality.

He took a step back and sighed.

"Until one day we meet again Iris, I'm sure we'll get to the climax of our story someday." He grabbed his bag and headed out of the door.

I stood at the door watching the driver of the car take his bag, placing it in the trunk and him lingering at the door before finally closing it. I watched as the car drive off and then vanish from my view.

So that was it. That was how we end after finally admitting that we love each other, and I finally realizing that he felt the same way.

It felt like we were unfinished business, that there was still a lot to come.

Scott

I stared out of the window looking at the cars pass by. It felt strange to finally admit to Iris that I love her but it was the truth and it was something that I wanted her to know before I left, what shook me up was the fact that she loved me too.

But she didn't love me, she loved the man I was pretending to be.

We were nearing the airport when I had a eureka moment.

"Turn around." My driver obeyed and looked at me in the rear-view mirror, I think that even he could see that I wasn't feeling like myself today. My driver didn't ask any questions, he knew too well that asking questions was out of the question but I am sure that he also knew that my job wasn't just as the owner of a marketing company since he would drive all my clients home after we had our fun.

I could feel my heart racing and my palms sweating, I should've told Iris to stay and I should have stayed. I wanted her by my side, I wanted to be able to see her every day and above all, I wanted I just wanted her.

The driver stopped at my house, I rushed into my house, I jogged upstairs, knocking on Iris' door. I slowly opened it, she wasn't there, I jogged through the house trying to find her until I finally realized that I was too late. 

She was already gone and she was also right, she couldn't stay and neither can I, maybe in another life things would be different and we would have our storybook ending but now I see that you don't always get what you want, you'd rather get what you deserve and I do not deserve a woman like Iris.

I solemnly paced to the door, opening it and then locking it behind me.

I slid into the back of the car again.

"Where to Sir?"

"The airport."