1st ツ

1st

All our life, we have this one little dirty secret we've been keeping enclosed in our hearts. In moments of self-realization, we'll realize that we are suffering from it.

The TV ads.

Magazines.

Even gossip websites.

Everywhere we look, it's there. We tend to achieve every essence of it, relentlessly striving towards that coveted ultimatum. It is a feat that in itself is hard to attain, but we have a way. We find a way. Our instinct dictates us that it is that, only that and nothing else.

Each day, we'll repeatedly want to get closer and closer to it. It's only rational to spread our wings and reach. Never look down. No room for second best.

Others have different advances, but everyone uses a way. One or the other, we did it before, is doing it now, and even in our unconsciousness, we'll do it again. It is imminent—for ready or not, it is coming.

Although for some, they are still in denial and ashamed to be judged for the so-called meaningless vanity. For others, they are running away from it, terrified to be grasped by its claws. But like a voice in the back of their head, they know that they can run... but never escape.

Although for a few of us, a tiny portion of this universe's entirety, we are the ones who have embraced it with open arms. It comes to us naturally. There is no resistance, no futile struggle.

After all, it is our destiny.

It is a sin to be beautiful, a curse to be adored by every eye, and a sure lot of pain to be the center of the talks. But this is inevitable, I tell you. Not everyone has been given the gift, reached the coveted ultimatum, and is living it like it is something as easy as breathing. I have it—the thing that everyone coveted—perfection.

P.E.R.F.E.C.T.I.O.N.

***

I was living every moment of my life for the last ten years in this manner and was one of the few who were entitled to stand in this envied, rightful place.

There it was!

Nope, I wasn't thinking about perfection again, because right in front of my eyes, walking underneath the lamppost, which someone should have switched off by now, I finally saw the black cat lurking around the neighborhood. Without second thoughts, I perked up and started to run. The cool winds of the morning started to get clashed by the warmth of the sun, trickling softly on my face. Looking straight ahead, my eyes were fixated on the moving cat.

Its jet black fur and dull form shined in my eyes like diamonds exquisitely placed around the perfect ring. At the end of the day, I knew that it was nothing but a meaningless cat. However, for now, it was all I needed.

Perfection was one thing, but having all the stars lined up in your favor was another. True, I had what every girl, younger or older alike, wanted—physical, situational, and mentally-wise. But fate was another concern and luck was never constant. It was a matter of chance given to a few fortunate ones at specific points in time. And at this moment, I had to be one of them. Either that or I'd find my way to be so.

A good example would be this cat.

And so my heart thumped wildly in my chest as I realized that the one that could boost my luck for this day was only a few steps away from me. Moving forward, I only left a reasonable distance between the cat and me. Bending my knees and sitting on the back on my heels, I called it, "Here, little kitty."