12th ツ

12th

“Just how long do they plan to follow us?” I asked John, looking back to the car that was trailing behind us. It was still moving in that slow yet quirky and infuriating way.

He answered, “I have no idea. Maybe you want to go down and ask them instead.”

I muffled a breath and continued sulking as I sunk even lower in my seat. We had been driving for several hours by now, and Dorothy and his men were still escorting us all this while.

Why couldn't they just leave us alone? Didn't they know the meaning of the word freedom? Oh, right, Dorothy-wise, she hadn't even learned the meaning of the word privacy. So definitely, she had no clue what freedom or free will was all about.

Since yesterday, all we did was following her orders like some programmed robots obeying their master without a complaint. And this was the first time that a thing like this ever happened to me. Kayla Wilson was now obeying someone against her will. Good heavens, I must be gifted with such a pure heart for me to do so.

Cha Ching. Cha Ching.

No, it was not the money I was after. All I did was try to lift of the curse that was ruthlessly imparted to me by this nerd. And the money involved was just a bonus, since I had succeeded in asking John’s forgiveness and undoubtedly got my luck back and everything.

I impatiently tapped my forefinger on my arm, forcing the previous thoughts out of my mind. I was preventing my comely mind from being corrupted with material thoughts and things that somehow pointed out that I was a dreadful person.

Which clearly I wasn’t.

After another long minute, I asked John again, “Are we there yet?”

“No clue. I don't even know where we're heading. It's also my first time going to that place,” he said, holding the wheel firmly. And even though he was trying to hide it, my perfect eyes saw the yawn that he let out.

“Don't fall asleep while driving,” I reminded him.

He widened his eyes, before rubbing them twice. “I'm not sleeping.”

“And lower your speed,” I said to him. Ever since he held that wheel, all he did was speed up whenever I wasn’t looking.

“We're already as slow as those cows out there. Even if I doze off for several minutes, we still won't hit the car in front,” he said, pointing outside to the innocent cows to which our decent speed was being compared to.

“It is better safe than sorry,” I murmured. “And we're not as slow as them.”

He let out a long sigh, finally giving up the fight. I looked outside and watched the grazing cows. And really, they were slower than us. Johnny here was just exaggerating. Our speed was fine.

“Can we go a little faster?” he tried asking again, almost pleading.

“Not a chance. Just drive,” I replied, closing my eyes and telling myself to understand the situation. John really had a thing for driving fast, which, of course, never failed to scare me from way back then. He should thank me for my utmost concern.

I was just keeping us safe from danger.

A loud screech of the brakes disrupted my thoughts. Forcing my eyes shut, I held on tightly to my seatbelt. Were we going to die? Did we hit a meteorite? Or rather, a meteorite hit us? I let my thoughts calm down first, before I opened my eyes again and saw that we, like what I was telling him over and over again to be careful, almost hit the car in front of us. And he said that we couldn't possibly hit the car in front!