10th ツ

10th

"Guests?" I repeated, unable to grasp the situation.

"Yes," Dorothy started. "We must put all of this to a test. And also, I'm pretty sure that they are worried, too. One cannot be that inconsiderate."

I rolled my eyes, dubiously asking, "Worried? Who's worried?"

A cunning smile flashed on her face, and I instantly feared what she was up to again. All the plans that she devised was either made to torture me, make me suffer, or annoy me to the core.

"Who are you talking about, Grandma? We're not expecting anyone," John said.

"Tidy yourself, young man. You're about to meet your in-laws," Dorothy replied, motioning for Janette to open the door.

"In-laws?" I exclaimed, suddenly standing on my feet. But as soon as I saw Mom and Dad come in abruptly and a little bit too soon, my voice changed its tone as I said, "Hi Mom... Dad." I waved to them a bit. But of course, it hadn't done me any good.

My mom instantly came to my side. And without further ado, she asked, "What's going on around here, Kayla? How come you didn't tell us that you were getting married?"

Well, Mom, I also had no idea that I was getting married.

"I..."

"They had kept it a secret from everyone. I guess they were planning to surprise us all," Dorothy said on my behalf.

"But from us? You haven't even invited us to your wedding!" Mom said to me, her voice an octave higher than before. She was clearly holding back the Aaron issue.

"I'm sorry. It's just..." I fidgeted for words, brushing my fingers against each other furiously.

"It was really a sudden wedding. She met her first love again yesterday and decided to throw off a wedding, realizing that they still loved each other," Dorothy went on.

Was it me or was Dorothy really good at this? But, wait. First love? John Emerson Brooks was not my first love!

I begged to disagree.

"You two wed a day after meeting again with each other?" Mom was exasperated, creases formed on her forehead in denial of what was happening.

Oh, trust me. I understood her reaction.

"Yes?" I nervously replied.

My mom was still in shock. As for my dad, well, he seemed to be composed and calm and undeniably lost in his own thoughts. I carefully looked at both of them nervously, hoping that my lies wouldn't be seen through, or else my instant luck might disappear.

Dad said after a moment, "Excuse us for a moment. My daughter and I need to do some serious talking."

I swallowed.

Serious talking was not something a girl like me wanted to hear from my dad. The last time we did that, I was grounded for months. Not that he would still ground me at this age.

Dorothy led everyone out to the garden, telling them that she prepared some tea. In a moment—that I was certain I never wanted to experience again—I was alone with my dad.

"Dad..." I started, unsure where to start.

"What's really going on around here, Kayla?" he asked. His face was masked with so many worries and inquisitions.

For once in my life, I wished for me to be a convincing liar. Just one white lie would do. But since this was my dad I was talking to, lying was never an option. I let out a long sigh and told him, "I'm in a kind of... unpleasant situation."