Chapter 5 - Sneaking Around

MOO. SKITTLES. DERP.

~ ~ ~

Chapter 5:

Rosie, Ashley, Kiona, Jocelyn, and Luna walked through a forest of dark oak trees and giant mushrooms. It was nighttime, and sure, it wasn't the smartest idea to be walking around here at night, but they needed to work fast and just couldn't wait.

Kiona held up a map in front of them as they walked and said, "So the other day, Charlotte, Jocelyn, and I were scouting around here," she pointed to a spot on the map, "and we uncovered a nether portal. Something felt weird and different about it, but we haven't actually gone inside yet. So that's where we should go right now."

She lowered the map as they walked towards the portal, which according to the map, was at least ten minutes worth of walking away.

"So..." Rosie said in the awkward silence.

"Do you guys think Herobrine is that crazy dude who put us all in the game the first time?" Luna randomly brought up. "It would kind of make sense if he is."

"Could be," said Jocelyn. "But how would he be able to get the powers that Herobrine has and persuade the mobs to side with him? That part isn't very possible unless he's really that good."

Luna nodded and replied, "Good point."

They walked the rest of the way in silence, finally reaching the glowing nether portal. Kiona was right about just the presence of it feeling weirder than it should. It felt...darker. Around it, the atmosphere was eerie and strange. Other than that, it just looked like an ordinary nether portal.

"Alright, who's first?" Rosie asked, taking a step back.

"I volunteer Ashley," Kiona said, also stepping back.

Ashley raised an eyebrow and crossed her arms, stepping back as well. "Well you must be smoking something if you think I'm going in there first! It's obviously not some regular portal. Who knows what could happen?"

"Yup, and that's why you're going first," said Jocelyn. She grabbed Ashley's shoulders from behind and shoved her through the portal, soon following. The rest hesitantly stepped in.

On the other side, they were in some kind of building made of obsidian and diamond blocks. Torches lined the walls of the single long hallway, but even with those it was hard to see.

"Well this isn't creepy at all," Luna whispered.

"Why are you whispering?" Rosie asked, ironically in a whispering voice.

"Who knows who could be here? I don't want to get caught," Luna pointed out. "Now let's go."

They slowly and cautiously made their way down the long hallway, diamond swords drawn. The only sounds were their footsteps echoing off the walls and their breathing as they walked, and maybe the occasional creaking noise of the wooden planks beneath their feet.

"Wait." Jocelyn held her arm out to stop them. They heard faint voices further down the hall whose voices they couldn't recognize. They didn't sound like they were getting any louder, but they weren't getting any fainter either. Jocelyn held a finger to her lips and motioned for them to keep going.

More carefully this time, they five continued down the hallway with their bodies close to the right wall of the hallway and their weapons ready to strike if needed. At the end of the hallway was an intersection. Right at the beginning of the hallway to the right were two squid men in full chain armor with iron swords and bows.

"This'll be easy," whispered Ashley as she observed the two squids. "We fight kill those two squids and continue looking for anything important, and if we attract more and all else fails, set down TNT and run. Either way I just really want to blow something up, so we should do that anyway." She held up some TNT and tossed a flint and steel to Rosie.

Kiona rolled her eyes and said, "Okay, we go on three. And if it's really necessary to blow everything up, do so after we've taken down the squids. Got it?" Ashley and Rosie nodded when she specifically looked over to them. "Okay, one, two, three!"

They five jumped out at the squids and attacked. Nothing worth explaining happened, since two squids are pretty weak against five armed Minecrafters and they were easily defeated. Literally two seconds later, the squids were on the ground.

"Let's go now! Down this hallway!" Luna said, pointing down the opposite way. She began to run down it with Kiona and Jocelyn while Ashley and Rosie stayed back to light the TNT. After it was lit, they ran after them as fast as they could, smiled when they heard the satisfactory booming sound of the explosion.

"The first explosion of many," Ashley said with a grin as they stopped to reorganize themselves.

"Alright, no more setting off explosions unless we really need to," said Jocelyn. "We could attract enemies."

As if that was some kind of signal, a group of more heavily-armored squids came running from the direction the five were headed. They turned around to run back, but yet another group of squids came from that way, too. Before they could do anything, they were surrounded, bows pointed at their heads.

The one who seemed to be the leader of this particular team of squids stepped forward and said, "Well, well, well, what do we have here? The king will be pleased to see what we've captured."