Chap. 2

“You look like shit” Zoe said, raising her eyebrows at me.

“Well, I’m exhausted, but I can’t sleep” I said, pouring myself a glass of orange juice.

“I’ll stay up with you.”

“You need your sleep.”

“Don’t sass me.”

I chuckled and put the orange juice back into my mini-refrigerator. I’d started keeping it in my room so I didn’t keep Trevor up all night with my erratic blood sugar.

“Yes ma’am.”

“So you wanna help me study for my Health test tomorrow?”

“Sure, why not? What do I need to do?”

“I’m going to send you a picture of the worksheet and you just quiz me on it. Simple enough?”

I chuckled. “I think I can handle it.” I pulled up the picture of the worksheet on my phone.

“Just start quizzing me.”

“VS?” I chuckled.

“Why are you laughing?”

“Victoria’s Secret” I said, wiggling my eyebrows.

“What? Why would you say that?” She had a shell-shocked look on her face.

I smirked at her. “Do you wear Victoria’s Secret?”

She narrowed her eyes at me. “You’re not funny Mason and I don’t appreciate it.”

“Whoa” I said, putting down my phone. “What’s wrong babe?”

“Wrong? Nothing’s wrong. Why would something be wrong?”

I pressed my lips together. “I see. So you’re acting like a crazy person for fun?”

She groaned and buried her face in her hands. “I’m a bad liar, okay?”

“I know.” I raised my eyebrows at her. “So what are you trying to hide from me exactly?”

“VS means vital signs.”

“I don’t even know if you’re right. Zoe, what’s going on?”

She groaned. “I didn’t want you to find out like this!”

“Find out what?” I took a slug of orange juice.

“I got a job.”

“Okay, I’m confused. Why would I laugh at you for getting a job?”

“Because I didn’t tell you where it was.”

“If you’re working the pole at a strip club, you better give me the address.”

A smile spread across her face, and I smiled back.

“There, now that I’ve lightened up your strange mood, tell me what’s going on” I demanded.

“I’m a model.”

My jaw dropped. “You’re modeling? Zo, that’s awesome!”

“For Victoria’s Secret.”

My smile dropped.

“It’s not what you think! I don’t do the undergarments; I’m a model for the clothing line.”

“For Victoria’s Secret?” I deadpanned.

She nodded. “And I didn’t want to tell you because I knew you’d freak out. But honestly, nothing is being shown. My photo shoot consisted of sweatpants and sweatshirts.”