Chap. 29

“Welcome to London,” Caleb said, as I stepped off the plane.

“Look who finally woke up,” Samuel said, ruffling my hair.

I let out a grumble in response.

“Alright boys,” Coach said, approaching us, “follow me.”

We stopped at Starbucks, for my sake, and then loaded into a van with a few other athletes.

“Where do we stay?” I asked, taking a sip of my coffee.

“It’s called the Olympic Village,” Samuel explained.

“What’s there?” I asked.

“Apartments, shops, restaurants, medical facilities, media, and lots of open space,” Caleb explained. “And somewhere for you to chill with your family.”

“And places to relax,” Samuel said. “Not just with your family, but also just, you know, you.”

“And can meet up with other athletes,” Caleb said, shooting a smile at some women athletes.

“Aren’t you married?” I asked.

“Nope,” he said, popping the ‘p’. “Single and ready to mingle.”

“Not with that kind of lingo,” Samuel muttered.

“He’s just upset because he won’t be mingling this year,” Caleb said.

“It’s really not all that it’s cracked up to be,” Samuel said. “Most of the athletes have curfews and stuff.”

“Yeah, like the gymnasts,” Caleb said. “But they’re all teenagers, it’s not like I’d be mingling with them. That’s pedophile status.”

“That’s who Mason would be mingling with dumbass,” Samuel said, shaking his head. “The world doesn’t revolve around you.”

“I think I’m good,” I said, taking another sip of my coffee.

“You’re good?” Caleb asked.

“Yeah, I’m pretty good without a girl right now.”

“Because of that red head the other day?”

I didn’t answer the question. I’d tried to stay busy to keep myself from thinking about Zoe and how stupid I was. Why would I turn her away? She flew across the country to tell me that she loved me, and I sent her home.

“It’s Mason Walker,” Lolo Jones said, taking a seat in front of us. “Can’t say that I’m surprised to see you here. Although the last time I saw you that arm was pretty beat up.”

“You’ve met Lolo before?” Samuel asked.

I nodded. “I met her at one of my dad’s functions.”

“Who’s your dad?” Caleb asked.

“Robert Walker.”

“No way,” Samuel said. “Your dad is Robert Walker? Holy shit.”

“That means your mom is Emma Walker,” Caleb said. “The designer?”

I nodded.

“Anyways,” Lolo said, interrupting us. “I saw you in a commercial the other day.”

“He accepted his first sponsorship,” Samuel said, with a smirk.

“Killed my chances for a scholarship to college,” I said. “But it was worth it.”

“I didn’t know you had Diabetes.”

I nodded. “Sure do.”

“Well I’m sure you’re an inspiration to little kids everywhere,” she said, pinching my cheek. “Dang you’re cute.”