Chap. 15

“Hi,” a voice whispered into my ear.

I opened my eyes to be met by a pair of clear, blue ones. A little kid was standing on my bed, peering down at me.

“Hi?” I said, raising my eyebrows at him. “And you are?”

“Dude, I told you not to come in here,” Trevor said, scooping the kid up into his arms. “Sorry man, I told him.”

“Who is that?” I asked, slowly sitting up. I ran my right hand across my eyes and yawned.

“Jesse,” the little boy said, eagerly.

“He’s my little brother,” Trevor said, dropping Jesse on the ground. “I’m watching him for the weekend.”

“Oh awesome,” I said, pulling a pillow over my face.

“Doesn’t matter, you have to get up anyways.” He shooed Jesse out of the room. “It’s 12:30.”

I pushed myself out of bed and put on my track uniform. I shoved my arm into the sling, unwillingly, and went out to the kitchen.

“But I want macaroni,” Jesse whined.

“Well I don’t know how to make macaroni,” Trevor whined back. “So deal.”

I rolled my eyes. “I’ll make macaroni.”

“Yay,” Jesse said, wrapping his arms around my legs. “Yay, yay, yay!”

I chuckled and pulled out the ingredients. “The instructions are on the box dumbass.”

“Dumbass,” Jesse sang.

“Way to go,” Trevor muttered.

“Sorry.” I leaned down to Jesse’s level. “Hey kid?”

Jesse nodded at me.

“Shut up.”

Trevor chuckled and I went back to making macaroni. “So your parents trusted you with a kid?”

“Apparently,” he said, gesturing towards Jesse, who was now watching TV.

“Well, I’ve got a little brother. If you’d like, I could grab him for the weekend.”

“Really?”

I nodded. “I can swing by the house tomorrow night and then drop him back off later.”

“That would be awesome.”

“I’ll ask my mom tonight.” I turned on the timer. “Stir the noodles at few times per minute, add the remaining ingredients when the timer goes off, and then serve. Get it?”

He nodded.

“Great, I’m leaving.”

“Good luck man!”

“Thanks.” I drove down to Subway and picked up lunch. I went down to the Athletic Building and into Coach Daniels’ office.

“Hey,” I said, dropping his sandwich and drink in front of him.

“Hey,” he said, looking up from his computer. He took a sip of his Dr. Pepper. “How’re you feeling?”

“I’m freaking out,” I said, pacing the floor. I sipped my Diet Coke, my stomach in knots.

“You’re going to do just fine.”

I flapped my left elbow before wincing in pain. “Do you not see this thing on my shoulder?”

“Bill knows you’re not at your 100%. He’s just watching technique, looking for potential.”

I took a deep breath, slowly letting it out.