Chap. 32

"I'll be right there," I promised, hanging up the phone.

I pulled on a t-shirt and jeans, hurrying out the door.

My mom's frantic voice filtered through my mind as I waved down a taxi and gave him the address to the hotel.

"Olympics huh?" the taxi driver asked.

I looked down to see I'd pulled on another Olympic t-shirt. I'd been trying to avoid wearing these around London. People stopped me, always wanted to talk to me, because of this shirt.

"Yes sir," I said.

"What event?"

"Hurdles."

"Are you competing tonight?"

"Yes sir."

"And what's your name?"

"Mason Walker."

"Well Mason Walker, this is the first time I've ever had an Olympic athlete in my taxi."

I let out a small laugh. "Well, I'm honored to be your first."

He spent the rest of the ride talking, and I tuned him out.

We pulled up to the hotel, and I handed him the cash, telling him to keep the change.

I bounded into the hotel and up to Carson's room, skipping my mom.

I pounded on his door, knowing that he'd be in there.

And sure enough, the door opened to reveal an extremely pissed off Carson.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" he asked.

"Hello to you too!" I said, cheerfully. I pushed the door open and let myself inside, shutting the door behind me.

He walked away from me, flopping down on the bed.

"Have you peed today?"

"What?" he asked.

"It's also known as urine. It comes out of your-"

"What are you talking about?"

"Mom thinks you're diabetic," I said, heading into his kitchen. I grabbed a Vitamin Water out of his refrigerator. "But I don't think so. It doesn't make sense."

"What are you babbling about?" he asked, lifting his head up from his burrow of pillows.

"You don't have Diabetes."

"Thanks for clearing that up."

"You just haven't been sleeping," I said, with a shrug.

"And why would you think that?"

"The three bottles of Monsters in your trash, the 12-pack of Monsters in the fridge, and the fact that you have created a burrow of pillows that seems to form around you, yet you have bags and bruises under your eyes."

"I think you've been watching too many detective movies."

"Nope," I said, popping the 'p'. "I just know you a lot better than I'd like to."

"So Sherlock, are you going to tell mom what I've been telling her all week?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, cocking an eyebrow.

"I've been telling her I can't sleep all week. And yet, she still wants to connect it to Diabetes."

"She's just paranoid," I said, throwing away the empty Vitamin Water container. "She didn't see it coming with me or Joseph, and she feels guilty."