Chapter 22

Ace's P.O.V

The bell above the gym door chimed, alerting everyone to my arrival. I searched the gym until my eyes landed on the most beautiful thing in the room, Bonnie. My chest physically hurt at the memory of hurting her, of the cruel words I spat at her.

She didn't deserve that.

With a deep breath, I head over to where Bonnie stood, wrapping her knuckles, her back to me. She must have heard my footsteps, because her back stiffened as I heard her take in a sharp breath.

She slowly turned around to face me, those blue eyes that I love so much staring at me, but they had lost their previous glow and happiness. Now they looked cold and lifeless, angry even.

I had done that.

My heart split in two knowing that I was the cause of this change in Bonnie, my Bonnie.

I opened my mouth to say something, but words failed me. I closed my mouth, trying to come up with a way to apologies.

"Wrap up your knuckles. I'm going to test how much you have improved over the past couple of months," she barks at me.

"Bonnie..."

"Don't say anything, wrap up your hands and meet me in the ring," she glares, before moving away from me, towards the matted fighting ring.

With a defeated sigh, I follow her orders and drop my duffle bag down on the nearest bench. I rip off my shirt before shoving it into my bag and taking out my wraps. I quickly wrap up my hands, before jogging over to the ring, where Bonnie waits, with her arms crossed, back rigid, and eyes cold.

"Don't forget to guard your head," she reminds me flatly, positioning herself into a fighting stance.

I nod my head in understanding before adjusting my own stance and nodding at her once more, letting her know I'm ready. Faster than I expected, she lunges at me, landing a swift right hook to my side.

I block her next attack, before attempting to land one of my own blows, but she's too quick, and easily ducks. Her next blow, his a roundhouse to my side, throwing me slightly off balance.

Even as she's beating the shit out of me, I can't help but admire her. How she moves, how skilled she is, how strong, and fast. She's absolutely perfect.

My thoughts are cut short when I'm the jaw by her fist.

"Pay attention and for god's sake, guard your head," she growls, while throwing another punch.

I manage to dodge the blow, turning my mind off and focusing on the fight ahead.

+++

"You've improved, you don't need me as a trainer anymore, I can have you switched to one of the other staff members," she deadpans, unwrapping her bleeding knuckles.

She had hit much harder today than any other day. I would definitely have many, many bruises tomorrow. That wasn't all she made me do today, she forced me onto the punching bag, having me work twice as hard as usual, while she did the same thing beside me on her own bag.

"Bonnie, we need to talk," I say quietly, gripping her upper arm to turn her to face me.

She shrugs out of my grip, but turns around and glares at me.

"There is nothing to talk about, Ace. You were absolutely right. I'm a stripper, so I must be a hooker too," she says sarcastically, yanking her bag off the bench and pulling it up onto her shoulder.

"I didn't mean that Bonnie. I was just hurt and upset. I'm sorry I didn't believe you, but I do now. I realize that you wouldn't do anything like that to me," I plead, trying to fix things.

"It's too late. If you can't trust me enough, than it isn't going to work. It was never going to work in the first place, I knew that, yet I still fell in...," she says, then her eyes widen in realization. "Just forget about us, it didn't work and it's not going to," she growls.

"Why? Why don't we work?' I ask, gripping her shoulders, my voice cracking.

"Because we're just too different! I'm not meant to have anyone in my corner, while you're surrounded by people. I'm not meant to be with someone, while you are meant to be with some powerful and beautiful rich girl. We come from different worlds!" she explodes, shoving my arms off her and stepping away from me.

"That doesn't matter. I don't care about your past or anything. I want to be with you! I..."

"Bonnie, is this man bothering you?" a stern voice asks.

I look over Bonnie's shoulder and see a muscular bald man approaching us, while glaring at me. Bonnie turns around and looks back at him, offering him a small smile.

"No Jim, I was just leaving," she says, adjusting the bag on her shoulders.

"Okay...if you need me, I'll be teaching a class,' he informs her, glancing at me suspiciously, before walking away.

Bonnie turns back around to face me once more, her expression stormy and distant.

"At least tell me where, you're staying. Do you have a place to stay for now?" I ask, quietly.

I see something flash in her eyes, but it's gone before I can read them. She opens her mouth, then closes it again.

"If you still need a place to stay...you can still stay in my house. I have plenty of room. I know you...hate me right now, and that's fine, but you can stay just until you get back on your feet."

Or until she forgives me and willingly lives with me.

"I can't live with you anymore, Ace," she says quietly, her hard exterior slowly fading away.

"Why not?"

"Because..." her voice cracks slightly, making my own heart strain. "Because I just can't," she finishes. "Goodbye Ace."

She pushes past me and leaves the gym before I can utter a response. I debate going after her, but I know it won't help me. I run a hand over my face and through my hair while letting out a groan.

I still needed to fix this. I Can't let the only real relationship for me slip away. I can't let the woman I love slip away, all because I was too much of an asshole to believe her.

I will get her back, and I'll start by visiting Sin City tonight.