Chapter 24

Ace's P.O.V

"You have to let me in, she's my girlfriend! I'm not going to leave her," I argue with the doctor as they rush Bonnie into a surgery room.

"Sir, you need to stay out here to give us space to work. She may not make it if we have too many distractions. Let us do our job and you'll be the first to hear the news," he pleads, placing both of his hands on my chest and giving me a firm, but not unbalancing, shove away.

Hearing that she may not make it broke me down faster than anything else could possibly do. I nodded my head vigorously while my eyes burned. The doctor gave me a sympathetic smile before disappearing into the room, leaving me in the hallway all alone.

I stumble back into the wall, before allowing my legs to give out under me. I crash into the tile floor with a loud sob escaping through my lips. I bring my knees to my chest and fist my hands in my hair while pressing my forehead into my knees, letting the tears fall freely down my face.

I had been such an ass to her and when I went to fix things with her, she is shot. She has finally forgiven me, or at least she told me she loved me, and now she may not make it. The one girl I love may not just leave me, she may die! The last time I'll have seen her would be when she is bleeding and fighting for her life.

The thoughts run through my head for what seems like eternity, each thought worse than the last. I cry harder, not caring if it makes me look weak to everyone else. I am weak when it comes to Bonnie, my Princess. My heart slowly chips apart with the knowledge that I may never get to hold her again, may never get to kiss her again, may never get to tell her that I love her and make it up to her.

"Ace!" a panicked male voce asks seconds before I feel a strong hand on my shoulder.

I can feel someone slide down the wall and sit down beside me. I look up through blurry eyes and see Kayden's worried face. He pats me shoulder, not really knowing what to do, but his presence is enough.

"What happened, man?" he asks softly.

I take a few minutes to stop crying and slow my breathing enough to talk, before speaking.

"Sky told me that Bonnie was in the back alley, so I went out to go find her and try to make things right. I heard her yelling at someone, so I went to go find her, and found five men beating her up. They were trying to...to rape her," I choke over the words, over the thought that my girl was attacked, and was nearly forced to do things with those bastards. "I attacked them and didn't see that one of them had a gun. He was going to shoot me...he should have shot me, but....but Bonnie...she shoved me out of the way and took the bullet..." I trail off, my eyes burning again.

"I'm sorry Ace," Kayden says, rubbing my back while I rested my forehead on my arms once more as silent tears slipped out of my eyes. 'She'll get through this Ace."

"How do you know?"

"Because she's a fighter."

+++

"Ace King?" someone says pulling me out of my painful thoughts.

I look up to find a doctor standing with a clipboard in her hands. I jump to my feet and nod my head quickly, ignoring how my joints popped from sitting in the same position for hours.

"She's stable. We got the bullet out and the bleeding to stop. She'll most likely be okay, but we need to watch for infections," she informs me with a soft smile.

"Can...can I see her?" I ask eagerly, but also nervously.

"Yes. She's still asleep from the medication, but she should wake up any minute," she says, motioning to the door behind her.

I nod my thanks and take a step towards the door, swallowing the lump in my throat. I take a deep breath before pushing my way into the room.

Bonnie's P.O.V

Everything is black. I can't tell where I am or what happened. My body feels like a ton of bricks and I can't move. I try to open my eyes, but it's a struggle.

Suddenly I feel something warm encase my hand. I try to open my eyes to see what's happening, but it's impossible.

"Bonnie, baby, can you hear me?"

That's Ace! Ace is here, I need to open my eyes. I need to move, why can't is do anything!

"I know you're probably still mad at me, Princess, and that's okay, but I need to tell you how much I love you. I didn't realize it before, but you're everything to me. You are the only girl that I have ever loved, the only one for me. You're all I want, Princess. Please come back to me. I need to make things up to you. I wasn't fair to you and I should have been comforting you that night, instead, I was a complete asshole and I hurt you. Please wake up so that I can fix things. I love you, Bonnie," I hear his silky voice say, while a few warm spots appear on my arms.

I try even harder to wake up, but it's a struggle. I finally manage to move my hand and hear Ace's sharp intake of breath. I manage to open my eyes with a lot more effort, but that's all I need.

At first, there's a blinding bright light, but then there's Ace's beautiful blue eyes staring down at me. I manage to move my mouth into a smile, which causes a wide grin to break out on his face, while a stray tear leaks from his eye.

I can feel my body fully waking up and I attempt to move my body into a sitting position, closer to Ace, but a burning pain comes from my stomach, causing me to let out a small whimper.

"Easy, baby. Take it easy," ace says softly, pushing me gently back onto the bed and brushing a few damp strands of hair away from my face.

He carefully slides a few pillows behind my head, slowly allowing me to sit up while leaning against the mountain of pillows. He takes a seat on the edge of the bed beside me, grabbing one of my hands and playing with my fingers, while he frowns down at them.

"What's wrong Ace?" I ask, my voice hoarse.

"It's just...it's just that I was so terrible to you that night and when I just got you back...I thought that I was going to lose you again, and this time it wouldn't be because I was an ass, but because...because you would have...died," he finishes, his voice cracking slightly at the end.

"Hey Ace, I'm okay. Sure, I got a little hurt, but I'm glad it was me and not you. I'd take a bullet for you any day... Bup, bup, bup, no interruptions, I'm not done yet,' I scold him when he tries to open his mouth and speak. "I love you Ace, that's why that night was too terrible. Because the one person I loved after my father didn't trust me enough and didn't believe me when I told him the truth."

I watch as Ace hangs his head in shame, letting my hand drop from his lap. I move my hand over and grip his in my own, causing him to look up with sad eyes and meet my gaze.

"But...I understand what was going through your head...I guess. You saw that picture and flipped out, which I guess I would have also. It still doesn't excuse the way you treated me, but...I understand. And since you tried so very hard to get me back..." I smile at him. "I forgive you, completely," I assure him.

"I love you Bonnie, I will never do anything like that again. I'm going to spend my entire life making it up to you, I promise," he says, jumping up and placing a heart-breakingly gentle kiss on my lips.

"Am I interrupting something?" an evil voice says flatly from behind Ace, causing him to break away from me slowly and face the intruder.

With Ace out of my face, I got a clear view of the person standing in the doorway, and it is not a pretty sight.

For there stood Elizabeth King.