[ Chapter 2 ]

"Do you know a Dalvin?" I asked, using the boxcutter in my hand to open up the new box of Hershey's that had just came in.

Nate looked up at me from where he was organizing magazines, shaking his head. "Nah, I don't know a Dalvin. Why?"

"Nothin', just four guys came in here the other day and one of them asked me for my number. Said his name was Dalvin."

"Where the hell was I when this happened?"

"You were on your lunch break."

"Oh. Did you give it to him?" He asked almost immediately, and I shot a puzzled look at him.

"....no, I didn't. I'm not gonna give my number to someone I don't know," I said, brushing it off.

"Well, at least you got some sense, unlike some other girls - "

"No talking!" Mrs. Huang yelled from behind the counter. Nate and I both looked at over to her.

".....anyways," I rolled my eyes, turning back o Nate, "If those other girls you speak of wanna give they number like that, good for them. But that just ain't me."

"Right, right. So, my boy Eric - "

"Which one is that?"

"The one that kinda looks like Mike Bivins with a flat-top."

"Oh, yeah."

"His momma's gonna be out of town for the weekend so he's thinkin' about throwing a party, so I was wondering if you wanted to go with me?"

"Ahhh, I don't know," I said, shrugging.

"Come on," he said, dancing his way over to me as I threw my hand over my mouth to keep from laughing too loud, "You look like you know how to cut a rug."

"I'd say I'm a pretty good dancer so, if that's the way you dance, I'll definitely have to come through and show you a few things."

"Girl, what are you talkin' about? I got dance moves for your ass," he said, and I snorted, "I can do a mean cabbage patch."

"Right, whatever you say."

A few hours later we locked up and Nate offered to walk me home, which I accepted without hesitation.

"So why are you up here anyway?" He asked casually as we walked down the street.

"My parents wanted me to get out of the house, since I can't go to college," I said, and he raised his eyebrows at me.

"You wasn't that good in school?"

I shook my head, "I was decent, we just don't have the money for it. I guess they think me being out of the house might give my little sister a better chance of being able to go."

"I didn't know you had a little sister. What's her name?"

"Yep, a little sister and a little brother. Her name is Maya."

"How old is she?"

"13 going on 30," I said, shaking my head, "That girl acts like she a grown ass woman. The boy ain't no better, ol' bad ass kids."

"What's his name?" He asked.

"Jamal," I said, "He's 10. He think he's so tough when he's runnin' around with his little friends. They think they're in a gang, they used to call themselves the "Cold Bloods" until my Dad caught them tryin' to throw up gang signs."