[ Chapter 6 ]

As soon as I opened the door, I knew I was fucked.

"Hey y'all," I said, holding up a box of glazed donuts, "I got breakfast."

Aunt Pam sat on the couch, her arms crossed as Darrell got up and snatched the donuts out of my hands.

He clicked his tongue and shook his head, "You done stepped in it now, little girl."

"Bianca Jane," she began, and that's how I knew I was really in some shit, "Do you know what time it is?"

I shrugged, clasping my hands together nervously, "Time for breakfast?"

"Don't you fuckin' play with me right now, Bianca. What makes you think you can come home at 7:45 in the morning? I'm supposed to be on my way to work already, but instead I'm sittin' at home, worried about you!"

"I just lost track of time, that's all! And in all fairness, y'all didn't really give me a curfew..." I said, trying to defend myself.

"It doesn't matter, you know better!"

"How you get in trouble on your first time out?" Darrell asked, voice muffled by the bits of glazed donuts in his mouth.

"Yo, don't eat all of those," I said.

"What in the world happened to your shoes?" Aunt Pam asked, pointing at my ruined sneakers hanging in my hand.

"I, uh..." I said, trying to search for a explanation.

"Bianca, were you drinking?"

"Me?" I asked incredulously.

"No, the other Bianca. Yes, you!"

"No, I wasn't drinking! You see, there was this guy - "

She interrupted me, signaling me to come over to her and I did so reluctantly.

"What is that smell on you?" She asked.

I grabbed the collar of my shirt and brought it to my nose, cringing hard at the smell.

"Um...."

"Were you smoking reefer?"

"No! I mean, I was around people who were but I wasn't!"

"I - " she closed her eyes and let out a deep breath, "You know what, I gotta go to work. But trust me, when I get home? We'll be talking about this again and you're gonna tell me everything that happened," she said, picking up her purse.

"Bye, baby," Darrell said, wiping the crust from the donuts off his lips as he rushed out the kitchen to give her a kiss.

When she left, he looked at me as if he was expecting something.

"What?" I asked, walking towards my room, exhausted.

"You gonna explain yourself to me or not?" He questioned.

"Nah." I shut my door behind me and fell down on my bed.

What a night.