[ Chapter 25 ]

I tucked the gun into my pants once again before tying my hair up in a ponytail - I didn't have the time to do anything fancy with it.

It was now 8:30 in the morning, and I hadn't gone back to sleep since Sybil had called me only eight hours earlier. I had no other choice than to wait until the sun came up, and now I planned on making my way to Dalvin's place.

I could hear arguing coming from within the living room and I knew I'd have to come up with some excuse as to why I was leaving this early in the morning.

I opened my door and went out, the arguing ceasing as soon as my presence was noticed while I took my key off the counter.

"Good morning," Aunt Pam said, and I looked up to wave.

"Good morning y'all," I replied back.

"Where are you going?" Darrell asked.

"I'm going to see Dalvin," I said, being truthful.

"Why?" Aunt Pam asked. She sounded partly irritated, but also genuinely concerned as she looked on in her pajamas and slippers.

"I don't know, he just said he needed me," I shrugged.

She narrowed her eyes and put her hands on her hips, "You don't know?"

"No," I lied.

"So you just gone run off whenever that boy tells you to?"

"I mean, he is my boyfriend..."

"Lord....you know what - "she said, before she threw her hands up and left, slamming their bedroom door behind them.

"What did I do?" I questioned, confused.

"It wasn't you, trust me. She's under a lot of stress," he said, "You know she gets irritated easily now."

"Darrell - Unc, just be honest with me," I said, looking at the door, "What's wrong? Y'all been acting weird for the last....I don't know how many weeks. I ain't wanna say anything, but I can't take it anymore."

There was a long, silent pause as he tried to find the right words.

"Pam....she's sick."

".....what?"

"I can't tell you everything," he said, "It's not my place."

"Not your place? What's that supposed to mean? Tell me what's going on with my Aunt, I deserve to know," I said firmly, arms across my chest.

"She's gotta tell you, not me," he said, and I kissed my teeth.

"Fine."

"Bianca - "

"I gotta go," I said, my attitude tinging my voice with exasperation before turning for the door, "I'll be back later."

As I grabbed the door knob, Darrell spoke again.

"I know you took my gun."

I froze, not saying a word.

"You better have a good reason for it."