[ Chapter 20 ]

"I need love, love to ease my mind. I need to find, find someone to call mine, but mama said," I sang to myself as I dug through the shopping bags laying on my bed.

"You can't hurry love, no, you just have to wait. She said love don't come easy, it's a game of give and take."

Tonight was Dalvin's birthday party, and I wanted to impress, so I made sure to hit the mall earlier today for some new clothes, and a present for him.

"You can't hurry love, no, you just have to wait. You got to trust, give it time, no matter how long it takes."

I was trying to practice my singing while getting ready - but according to Mary, there wasn't enough practicing in the world that was gonna help me out.

I pulled out the brand new underwear set I had bought, a lacy, red bra and panties to match. Like I said, I wanted to impress, because I was determined to make sure that tonight was the night.

Mary and Sybil were supposed to be swinging by to get me within the next hour, and speaking of those two, they'd been harassing me all week about this party, what I was gonna wear, what I was gonna give him and so on and so forth. They were nosy like that - but then again, so was I.

When I was finished dressing, I came out of my room and grabbed my house key that was sitting on the counter. Aunt Pam and Darrell were nowhere to be found. They'd been acting weird lately, but I figured they'd tell me what was going on whenever they were ready to, so I never asked them about it.

As I locked the door and walked downstairs, this strange, uncomfortable feeling had crept up on me. Almost as if....I was being watched. I didn't know why - well, I knew why, but I didn't have much of a reason to, if that made any sense. I hadn't seen Nate in weeks, and I'm sure he was probably busy with, you know, trying to get the police off him. I'd thought a lot about that decision I made all those weeks ago, when I told the police about that fight that went down. I still firmly believed that what I had done was morally the right thing to do, however....I wasn't so sure that being a snitch was good for me in general. I mean, I could have all kinds of people looking for me right now, you never know.

A black Cadillac suddenly pulled up by the sidewalk and stopped in front of me. My breath hitched, because I had never seen the car before and it was always a huge red flag if some car just randomly stopped in front of you, everybody knew that.

I tensed up, gripping the paper bag in my hand as I began to think of where I needed to run - back upstairs, I think. Yeah, that sounded like the most logical thing to do.

The window rolled down.

"The fuck are you just standin' there for? Get in the car!"

I sighed in relief.

"Bitch, y'all scared the fuck out me," I said, shaking my head, walking to the backseat of the car.

Mary snorted as she turned around in her seat, "Why?"

"What you mean, 'why'? I thought somebody was pullin' up on me," I replied, buckling my seatbelt.

Both her and Sybil, who was driving, started to laugh as we pulled off.

"Okay, Bianca," Sybil said, before turning her attention to the road, "Anyways, what did you get him for his birthday, girl? Other than pussy."