🖤 Chapter 3 🖤

♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧

♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧

You know the saying "You don't know what you've got until it's gone"? Well, I'm feeling it now. I've already lost my freedom to see the outside world, the freedom to socialize. But now, losing my freedom to eat - that's on a whole other level.

James is still upset that I tried to escape before. It's already been a week since he's made me go without food and purified water. I have to drink water from the tap in the self-contained bathroom. The metallic taste of the water and the germs that are floating around in it are the only things that bother me when I drink, but I have to if I want to survive.

James doesn't sleep in the same room with me, but every morning he does his routine visit to, as he put it, 'see if I'm still alive'. So when he comes in the door one morning, I stand up out of the King-sized bed and ask, "How do you expect me to live if you keep me locked up and don't feed me?"

"If you abide by the rules, then you won't be punished like this," he says plainly.

We are standing in the middle of the bedroom, at the foot of the bed, but I decide to sit and think about the rules again. Our motto.

Never shout, never fire back, never leave.

I must be crazy. To think that I'll actually live by these rules is absolutely absurd; nevertheless, James expects me to. But a question still boggles my mind.

"Why don't you really want me to see the outside? I mean, surely you must have some reason, aside from wanting me for your eyes only and not wanting me to adopt behavioural imperfections. Everyone's entitled to bad behaviour." None of us in this world are perfect, and James needs to understand that.

"I'm doing it for your own good," he says.

"You still haven't answered my question."

"And?" I stay silent while he sits on the bed next to me and reaches out to hold my hand. "I love you, Erica. Really, I do. But you need to realize that what I do is only in your best interest."

Is he really pulling this card? I sigh. Maybe I should just play along. "I know," I say. "But, it's just that...it gets lonely after a while."

"You have me," he replies, smiling broadly. "You don't need the rest of the world to keep you happy and entertained as long as I'm around."

"But what if something's happening on the outside? I won't be able to know about it."

"I can inform you about anything that goes on outside, either from the newspaper or online on my phone."

I sigh, letting out a low growl. "And what about my family? I wouldn't know if anyone is getting married, or has died," I press on, hoping to change his mind about further locking me in the house.

"I can attend the wedding or funeral, in the shadows, and then tell you all about it when I get back," he answers proudly.

I give up! This man is ridiculous! Incorrigible, if you must!

I stand up. "Fine! Be the way you are!" I shout at him, anger coursing through my veins like venom released by a poisonous snake, but I immediately bite down on my bottom lip. Although I have every right to be upset, James thinks differently of my outbursts and shoots dangerously sharp daggers at me with his fierce glare.

He stands as well, his tall figure hovering over my short one. I feel Intimidated by his height, and thus my body runs cold. In my sudden realization, it feels like the flames of hell have been sent to consume and burn me to crisps. This is the third time, in one day, that I've shouted at him, and he becomes infuriated. However, he breathes himself to calmness, closing his eyes while doing so, before he looks at me and smiles.

"I will take you out tomorrow."

I am taken aback by his statement. "What?" I ask, blinking a few times. Is this my husband? Am I in the right house? No, I couldn't be. James couldn't be saying what I think he is.

He wants to take you out tomorrow dummy, a voice in my head says.

"But," he continues, "only if you abide by the rules for the rest of the day. Can you do that for me?" He strokes my face delicately and gives me a smile that almost makes me quiver. His voice goes low and soft as he says, "Will you be the precious angel I married?"

Whenever James uses this voice, I always get a sense of alluring comfort, and I easily give in to him when he uses his puppy eyes on me.

I nod, my eyes averting his, and my cheeks burn red. I sneak a glance up at him and he looks as though he can see into my soul, rummaging through for the deepest, darkest secret(s) of mine, even when his eyes appear softer now.

"Promise?"

"Yes, my love. I promise," I say to satisfy his mood.

His lips meet mine, and for a few moments, I don't hate James. He feels like the epicentre of my happiness, like my other half, like home.

♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧

If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a vote.

☆ MARDAIS ☆